Commut Air Training/Instructors

ilsbird

I just accepted a class with Commut Air and the reason for me to join Commut Air apart from the fast upgrade to captain is quality of life by living in base. As I live in the bases they have and all of the bases are commutable even if I dont get based at my home initially. I would like to get a preview of how there training department is, how there training is and the sim training and if one is prepared well enough for the exams/checkride. I am saying this as I have been through a 121 where I had great experience and then i have been with another regional 121 where the training was a disaster and more than half the class didnt make it due to mainly the poor instruction skills and inconsistencies between instructors in instructing. I was given study guide, memory items and limitations after being offered the class with Commut Air and I have them down cold. How was the systems exam/oral exam like in Commut Air. I appreciate any input.

Welcome to the club! You'll find that there are A LOT of CommutAir guys on here. I think the training department is very good. Although we don't have fancy gadgets like electronic CBT's and stuff you still get the proper instruction you need. As they have already stated, just study the packet and flows and the rest will come in class. What base are you looking at?

The training department is great and everyone will go the extra mile to get anyone who wants it through. Welcome.

No complaints on the training department. I've felt very prepared for every test/exam/checkride.

Welcome to the club! You'll find that there are A LOT of CommutAir guys on here. I think the training department is very good. Although we don't have fancy gadgets like electronic CBT's and stuff you still get the proper instruction you need. As they have already stated, just study the packet and flows and the rest will come in class. What base are you looking at?
Thank you buddy, I am looking forward to this great airline as I think its the best place to get quality experience and fast upgrade compared to other regionals. I am looking at IAD, EWR, CLE in the order I have listed. But IAD is my first choice and then EWR.

Thank you buddy, I am looking forward to this great airline as I think its the best place to get quality experience and fast upgrade compared to other regionals. I am looking at IAD, EWR, CLE in the order I have listed. But IAD is my first choice and then EWR.

IAD should be pretty easy to get right out of ground school. As long as you keep focused and don't let the obvious negatives affect your performance and mood, you will be quite alright here. Upgrades to my knowledge are still right around 2 years or so, my class upgraded in a year and 10 months. With the new FAR 117 rules we will need a lot more FO's to keep that upgrade time down...however people are leaving but at a relatively slow rate. Seems like 2014 will be a good year for many pilots.

You will be prepared. Whatever you have memorized prior to class will make EVERYTHING that much easier. Know the limitations and the flows. The class will fill in the cracks. I won't lie, I was ill-prepared for the 121 world. I was woefully behind in class and had to work my tail off. I personally found it difficult, but I admittedly didn't know the material prior to class. It's a very quick and long three weeks...I mean jam-packed. Be ready to cover a more difficult (needy) airplane in a shorter amount of time than most regionals.

IAD should be available within 1-3 months, so that's a plus.

Glad to have ya. The airplane is just downright fun to fly. Fun, fun, fun. See ya in the right seat in a few weeks.

Will definitely echo all the sentiments of my coworkers on here, there's some really great people in the training department who will get you through, but know all the stuff in the packet when you show up, it'll make a big difference!

I can't echo enough the "Know your training packet" sentiment of the rest of the C5 crew here. I felt prepared but it was because I worked to understand the material presented. I will say that training is all in what you make it. The instructors and training department try their best, but some instructors are better than others. Training is nowhere near as adversarial or needlessly complex as I experienced at PDT, but it's not FlightSafety either. In short: I don't regret my decision to come here

Back