Commercial rating long cross country requirement

Airmann

The required long cross country solo flight calls for a total min distance of 300 NM, with at least one leg being at least a 250 NM straight line distance. You must make three landings. My question is can you fly the required straight line 250 NM leg as the second leg of the flight, or must that 250 mile leg be flown from you FBO starting point?

Doesn't matter. Fly somewhere interesting or challenging, have fun, bring a camera. Doctors orders...:)

We had an FAA inspector talk to us about this and he said that "original point of departure" is just that. If I left lvk, I would have to go somewhere that was at least 250 from lvk. We had a student's commercial checkride cancelled because none of the airports she went to were 250 straight line distance from lvk which was her original point of departure even though there was another leg that was 250 nm.

We had an FAA inspector talk to us about this and he said that "original point of departure" is just that. If I left lvk, I would have to go somewhere that was at least 250 from lvk. We had a student's commercial checkride cancelled because none of the airports she went to were 250 straight line distance from lvk which was her original point of departure even though there was another leg that was 250 nm.

That is an interesting interpretation. Is that a universal interpretation?

The for and faa inspector both said that it's a logging issue. It explicitly says "from the original point of departure." That being said, they do have a point. Even if you were doing flights to span the USA, you would have to log it accordingly to make it for the reg in question. Point a to point b then point c. As long as one of those points are at least 250 nm from point a, you're good.

It is what the rule specifically says. What is so interesting about "interpreting" it based in what it says? It doesn't say a "250 NM leg". It says:

(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point.

Ah yeah, I wasn't looking at the reg and forgot about the original departure point, just going off the original post, thanks guys.

Back