Commercial Pilot Question

centralhome

If you have you're SEL Private/Instrument and get you're MEL/Commercial/Instrument, you are still Private Single Engine aren't you?
You would have to do another checkride for you're Commercial Single Engine?

Thanks

Yup. You will have to do an added class checkride. Look in the Commercial PTS and you will see what is required on the single checkride. You won't have to do cross country procedures, for example.

Thanks Thats what I was thinking, and a student was trying to tell me otherwise.

I'm glad I don't have that student, I hate it when students have a know-it-all attitude. But that's CFI 101 stuff, I would have asked him to prove it to me. Then he would have found his own answer in the FARs. That's how I handle aurgumentive students, I've found it's easier to let them put their own foot in thier mouth than me trying to do it. After that those types of students are a little more humble and listen...usually.

I'm glad I don't have that student, I hate it when students have a know-it-all attitude.

There's no evidence this student has a "know-it-all" attitude. Personally, I relish having students argue with me because it shows they're interested and engaged, and the lesson is so much more powerful if I can actually demonstrate that I am correct. And, sometimes, the student ends up being right and I learn something.

There's no evidence this student has a "know-it-all" attitude. Personally, I relish having students argue with me because it shows they're interested and engaged, and the lesson is so much more powerful if I can actually demonstrate that I am correct. And, sometimes, the student ends up being right and I learn something.

Maybe it was his attitude was an poor assumption on my part, who knows. Nevertheless that (not necessary this guy's) attitude drives me crazy. I don't mind a good debate because you're right, it does lead to interesting lessons. The best students I've had are those who are "interested and engaging". But that is a different attitude than the "know-it-all" type attitude who are stubborn and conflicting. The ones that don't give you the time of day to demonstrate or teach a topicg because, "My airline captain friend told me...." Those are the ones I give the assignments to work on. If they won't listen then let them learn on their own.

Despite that the topic at hand here is a pretty cut and dry one. Not a whole lot of theory or demonstration is involved here. Its a matter of reading the FARs. I can't imagine a student arguing of this one....Oh wait I can too....I've had this same senario (question and all) with one of my own students. The same guy who told me that the way I demostrated him how to land a Cessna not correct because it was different than how his DAL friend described landing the 75... I was speechless for while.

If you have you're SEL Private/Instrument and get you're MEL/Commercial/Instrument, you are still Private Single Engine aren't you?
You would have to do another checkride for you're Commercial Single Engine?

Thanks

Not exactly. You have one pilot certificate, and in this case it would be a commercial certificate. You can't be both a commercial and a private pilot.

Under section II of your license it will say "COMMERCIAL PILOT".
Section XII RATINGS will list: "AIRPLANE, SINGLE AND MULTI-ENGINE LAND, INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE."

However, under section XIII LIMITATIONS you'll get something to the effect of "SINGLE-ENGINE LIMITED TO PRIVATE PILOT PRIVILEGES."

To remove the limitation, you will need a single-engine checkride, but your student is technically correct: you'll be a commercial pilot AS&MEL.

I had a single and multi private ticket. When I upgraded my single rating to commercial I got all excited when I watched the examiner fill out "COMMERCIAL PILOT: AIRPLANE, SINGLE AND MULTI-ENGINE LAND, INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE" on my temporary certificate. It was short-lived, though, and he dashed my joy when he filled in the limitations section.

Not exactly. You have one pilot certificate, and in this case it would be a commercial certificate. You can't be both a commercial and a private pilot.

Under section II of your license it will say "COMMERCIAL PILOT".
Section XII RATINGS will list: "AIRPLANE, SINGLE AND MULTI-ENGINE LAND, INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE."

However, under section XIII LIMITATIONS you'll get something to the effect of "SINGLE-ENGINE LIMITED TO PRIVATE PILOT PRIVILEGES."

To remove the limitation, you will need a single-engine checkride, but your student is technically correct: you'll be a commercial pilot AS&MEL.

I had a single and multi private ticket. When I upgraded my single rating to commercial I got all excited when I watched the examiner fill out "COMMERCIAL PILOT: AIRPLANE, SINGLE AND MULTI-ENGINE LAND, INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE" on my temporary certificate. It was short-lived, though, and he dashed my joy when he filled in the limitations section.

You are arguing semantics. The student was saying that he would have CSEL privleges if he did the CMEL checkride. Yes, he just has one license, but he has Commercial privleges for multi-engine and private privleges for single engine.

You can't be both a commercial and a private pilot.

Says who? You're conflating the piece of plastic with the immaterial concept of a certificate.

The language "Joe is is a commercial/private pilot" is slang terminology. Often the forms which ask for your certificate level say something to the effect "highest pilot certificate awarded".

Back