Commercial oral

FlySooner9

Hey folks, first off i know obviously that everything in the oral book is fair game. However i was wondering if some of you out there could give me some advice on things that are a big emphasis. What can you almost always count on being asked? Also, i seem to always get extremely nervous for my oral tests, does anyone have any advice on how to stay relaxed?

Most deffinetly expect all the things from your private with an emphasis on systems, aerodynamics, high altitude operations, commercial operation limitations. Thats what mine was all about.

Most deffinetly expect all the things from your private with an emphasis on systems, aerodynamics, high altitude operations, commercial operation limitations. Thats what mine was all about.

This is what I was asked during my oral. Ask around at your school someone probably has a gouge for your DE.

private carriage vs common carriage (AC 120-12A)
What does it mean to Hold yourself out??
airplane systems (landing gear, powerplant, propeller, fuel system, oil system, electrical system)
advantages to a constant speed prop
Privileges and Limitations
Currency Requirements

Thats about all my Oral consist of.
Everybody gets nervous before a Oral exam. If you know your stuff then once you get in there and settled, you will do just fine. Just be confident and also, never say "Well I think the answer is..." or "Im not real sure but blah blah blah"

Make sure you can look something up if you do not know it. Hope this helps, Justin

Each examiner seems to have their own emphasis as to what they focus on. As a previous reply said, try to ask around and find out what some of those areas are for your examiner.

The bulk and focus of my oral was on privileges and limitations and then on systems. He touched a couple of areas from private like airspace, but usually moved on after the first question if my answer demonstrated that I knew it. Make sure you know where to find the answers if you don't know or at least be able to know how to find it quickly.

As for relax... I don't think there is a way. Just prepare for it the best you can and remember that "I'm not sure, let me look it up quickly" is an acceptable answer.

Good luck!

I got asked about airplane logbooks, systems, can you do this, passenger showing these kinds of symptoms, and some other things. Sorry it's been almost a year since I got my commercial.

Back