Commercial Aviation/Flight Instructor to Aeronautical Engineering

gotWXdagain

Polished Member
Oye. I've pretty much come to the realization that the path I am on now isn't going to lead me to where I want to be, when I want to get there. I'm starting to think about going back to school and getting another undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering with an aerospace emphasis, and then going to another school for the Masters.

Has anyone here gone to something like Engineering, and if so, how was the transition and what are the job prospects? My emphasis would likely be on turbine engine design, if that helps.

why do the undergrad first/again. Just apply to the masters and take and 3/400-level courses required for the prereqs.

why do the undergrad first/again. Just apply to the masters and take and 3/400-level courses required for the prereqs.

The awesomesauce that was the degree I got required only one basic, as in "survey of" and not actual calc, and english and physics. The masters program I looked at (U of Minn, obviously there are others and as a UND grad I would very much dislike the idea of being a goofer) requires an undergrad degree that I don't have.

Oye. I've pretty much come to the realization that the path I am on now isn't going to lead me to where I want to be, when I want to get there. I'm starting to think about going back to school and getting another undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering with an aerospace emphasis, and then going to another school for the Masters.

Has anyone here gone to something like Engineering, and if so, how was the transition and what are the job prospects? My emphasis would likely be on turbine engine design, if that helps.

You going to be on loans or are you fortunate to have money saved for your new endeavor? I only ask because I'm interested in finishing my undergrad and like to know how other people plan on financing it.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering, and did work in turbine engine design. I went to the Colorado School of Mines. What would you like to know specifically?

As far as job prospects, they're very good even without your masters. You don't need to specialize in aerospace either, though that wouldn't hurt.

Feel free to PM me.

I was an undergrad in engineering. The mechanical engineers I went to school with had no trouble getting jobs at engine makers, very few bothered with masters degrees.

You going to be on loans or are you fortunate to have money saved for your new endeavor? I only ask because I'm interested in finishing my undergrad and like to know how other people plan on financing it.

I've got a job that is paying pretty well, so after 1.5 years of saving and limiting my spending I have enough money to finance another undergrad degree by myself.

Don't know if that answers the question, but I plan on financing by using the money I have saved.

Safe flying man

What's your degree in now? Any chance of getting on with an employer that will cover all or part of your degree?

Boeing paid for my wife's Law Degree when we worked there, GE Aviation covers tuition as well.

What's your degree in now? Any chance of getting on with an employer that will cover all or part of your degree?

Boeing paid for my wife's Law Degree when we worked there, GE Aviation covers tuition as well.

2yrs at riddle aero sci and that's all I got. Thinking of Thomas Edison State Univ. With an ATP and all my cfis I think that'll give me some credit. The money I'm making now with survey I plan to pay off my student loan in 4yrs and put a little extra towards finishing, steady as she goes. What I can't afford now is more debt.. I may finish as aviation or just go into business. I may be in part 91 flying pistons n a conquest back n forth holdin a survey flight line all day but it pays the bills and im employed, that's all I care about at this point. Thanks for the feedback I like to know how others plan to do the same. Keep at it Snoop!

2yrs at riddle aero sci and that's all I got. Thinking of Thomas Edison State Univ. With an ATP and all my cfis I think that'll give me some credit. The money I'm making now with survey I plan to pay off my student loan in 4yrs and put a little extra towards finishing, steady as she goes. What I can't afford now is more debt.. I may finish as aviation or just go into business. I may be in part 91 flying pistons n a conquest back n forth holdin a survey flight line all day but it pays the bills and im employed, that's all I care about at this point. Thanks for the feedback I like to know how others plan to do the same. Keep at it Snoop!

Thanks man,

I hope the best for you too! I changed my degree to Business, so that I could have a cushion if something happens to me.

Sounds like you have a good gig as well!

Safe flying brotha!

Are you still instructing at UND? IIRC tuition was either free or drastically reduced for employees. I looked at doing the same thing at one point and UNDs program seemed to be ranked high at the time.

Are you still instructing at UND? IIRC tuition was either free or drastically reduced for employees. I looked at doing the same thing at one point and UNDs program seemed to be ranked high at the time.

We aren't considered employees, we are considered students.

We aren't considered employees, we are considered students.

Really??? That "class" they put everyone in to "help" with student loans have anything to do with it? I'm almost positive instructors were considered faculty when I Iooked into pursuing a masters or another bachelors. Maybe not

Really??? That "class" they put everyone in to "help" with student loans have anything to do with it? I'm almost positive instructors were considered faculty when I Iooked into pursuing a masters or another bachelors. Maybe not

It may have changed back and forth a few times since I graduated, but. Full time flight instructors were not considered staff or faculty. I don't recall what the school considered us but it was something akin to a contractor. This was in 99, 2000.

I'm currently an undergrad in Aerospace Engineering at a large non-aviation oriented research university. Any questions feel free to ask.

Yup, that "class." Although not having to worry about making a student loan payment right now kind of helps.

Back