Comair Begins Furloughs

H46Bubba

Total of 206 pilots to be furloughed.:( I guess there are two waves. First wave begins October 5th and the majority of furloughs goes into effect November 5th. Sorry guys. I was praying that they'd procrastinate till we got some flying or that they were bluffing.

Sorry to hear this guys! Know many guys whom are hired recently and going to be on the street as well! :) Very sad to hear! I was hoping it would not happen, but guess that will not happen.

Yes.

Someone told us to hire 300 pilots this summer so we started.

Then mesa won the injunction. This started all the bad news. We went from 9500 hours a month in jfk to 5500 in 2 months. CVG lost almost 3000 in the same time period.

150 CA Displacements and 300 furloughs were announced for September 1st.

Delta Cnx freedom's 900 contract and comair was told we would operate them starting In October.

Comair cancels the displacement bid and furloughs and actually awards a vacancy bid and puts out a training schedule.

2 days later Delta decides not to give these a/c to comair???

Comair now announces only a 100 CA displacements and 200 furloughs begining On October 5th.

Being owned by Delta Means everything!!!!

It's great. Mesaba and Compass hiring while Comair is furloughing. Hopefully those guys keep their jobs inside the giant soon to be company known as Delta.Northwest

It's great. Mesaba and Compass hiring while Comair is furloughing.

I wouldn't feel so bad. Mesaba is barely hiring and Compass is finishing up hiring right now; both are going to have the 36 jets in another 2-3 months and that will be the end of the growth in the immediate future.

Comair, like XJT, PCL, SKW, Eagle, TSA, and others, has a lot of 50 seat flying and that is all there is to it.

Total of 206 pilots to be furloughed.:( I guess there are two waves. First wave begins October 5th and the majority of furloughs goes into effect November 5th. Sorry guys. I was praying that they'd procrastinate till we got some flying or that they were bluffing.

I know you are trying to be supportive to those furloughed and I appreciate that, however to think that Comair is going to be "getting" any flying is a little naive, in my opinion. Even if Mesa ceases to fly for Delta at some point, don't expect Comair to benefit. In that Delta newsletter posted on epic it says about 25 additional aircraft to leave this year.
Again just an opinion, but from what I have seen in my years at comair is that delta has no vision for this company other than a gradual pull down of all flying until eventually comair will become just a mx and ground service provider likely merged into mesaba/compass.

Yeah, don't expect Delta to do Comair any favors. It's no secret that Delta does not like Comair and I personally think Comair will not be around for much longer in the same large capacity that it is now.

CA just called scheduling trying to drop our last leg, their response...“no chance, due to staffing” we just had over 40% reduction in flying and your having trouble finding someone to fly one leg??? gimmie a break

CA just called scheduling trying to drop our last leg, their response...“no chance, due to staffing” we just had over 40% reduction in flying and your having trouble finding someone to fly one leg??? gimmie a break

Yeah, I can't wait how they are going to handle this once the furloughs are all set and done when they can't even staff correctly right now. I'm still willing to bet some people will get JM on their first day of furlough. Mark my words!

Yeah, I can't wait how they are going to handle this once the furloughs are all set and done when they can't even staff correctly right now. I'm still willing to bet some people will get JM on their first day of furlough. Mark my words!
Oh looky, someone was allowed a name change!:D

Oil's down to 96 bucks. AA canceled furloughs from what a CO guy told me today. Hopefully the beginning of the end of the downswing is in play already. But, who knows.

Well comairs furloughs have nothing to do with the price of oil unfortunately. Mesa won their injunction and that hurt alot but I believe the real reason is the merger. Delta is trimming fat anywhere they can. They are trying to remove as many 50 seat and under regional jets as they can and have been very successful.

Express Jet out
CHQ 135's out
Freedom - initially out
Comair - 14 airplanes out and very low utilization of the rest

The only problem is they want more out and they can't find any more contracts to cut. So comair is cut because we have no contract for lift. We are Delt'a reserve airlines.

The Union finally send out an e-mail regarding the furloughs. About time! I guess they are still in negotiations with management about working out some voluntary furloughs and extended benefits. I am not getting furloughed, but I hate to see anyone out of a job, and hopefully the union will come through and get some better benefits for the people affected.

I'm still trying to be optimistic here and hope that DL has a plan. I hope the furloughs are just temporary. I still think the whole Freedom flying might be a way for DL to get some hard number to slap in front of the judge to show them why they canceled their contract. Comair brings in billions and billions of dollars of revenue for DL, and I hope Comair will stick around after the merger. Right now, it seems like DL doesn't care about us, it would be like Delta buying a car for 2 billion dollars (Comair) and just letting it sit in the garage and rust. For some reason I don't see that happen. Again, I'm trying to be optimistic here, glad I still have a job for now and hope the furloughs will be a temporary thing.

nah, i just think we're the biatch in this situation. can't mess with the contractual carriers so we get the shaft. we're just in a crap spot, which unfortunately happens to be the only spot where they can easily adjust their model to todays "challenges". wonder if DL will rethink having contractual flying in the future. seems like those contracts don't allow much latitude when crap hits the fan. if all you have is wholly owned you can do what you wish with them (for the most part) to adjust to market swings....both good and bad. so maybe the merger and future consolidation of the NWA and DL wholly owneds spells good news for us. who knows.

Back