College courses that will go with OKC and ATC

teetee

I am currently getting my husband signed up for a local University. They offer an Aviation Management degree online. Since he hasn't received his Bachelors yet and doesn't want to quit school, he is going into this field. The classes are flight related and he will get some credits for already being a pilot and things like that. It works out really well.

So my question is, what classes would be most beneficial to help him before OKC and during OKC? Aircraft Identification? Survey of Aviation Science? Aviation Law? Flight Environment? Flight Physiology? There are also 2 actual ATC classes. The thing is, if he avoids taking those, he will get to clep out and not have to take those classes (which would be nice). Actually, any class he doesn't take but learns the stuff in OKC he can clep out of it.

Our overall goal is to take classes before that will help in OKC and once he gets to his center. The second is to take classes that he can study the class material and be studying stuff for OKC at the same time. The last is to be able to clep out of as many credits as possible.

He is also going to be taking classes while in OKC. He is hoping to find 2 classes online that will go well with OKC and training. He has always worked full time, sometimes 2 jobs (1 full time and one part time) and gone to school part time. :panic: I am just hoping to make it easier on him.

What do others suggest? What classes do you take in OKC? Do any of the classes I have mentioned coincide with material in OKC? What classes would help not only in OKC but where it really matters, when he gets to ZLC? He doesn't want to be one of those new trainees that doesn't even know how to identify this plane from that. (Although he does know a lot of airplanes..that happens when you grow up with a dad, grandpa and uncles as a pilots)

What is the biggest mistake that new trainees make from not having the knowledge they should?

Any suggests are appreciated (as long as they are what I want to hear :sarcasm: ) Thanks guys!

Av Law, aircraft identification, flight environment, and any ATC classes you can get into would be helpful. Take a look at any of the CTI programs class lists for their degrees and you can get an idea of what is good to take prior to OKC.

He is also going to be taking classes while in OKC. He is hoping to find 2 classes online that will go well with OKC and training....
I'd discourage that. The main goal is to pass PV in OKC, and he needs to make that his only focus. They teach what you need to know to pass, and some of the stuff you might have picked up outside would need to be "unlearned". It's only a few weeks. Put everything else on hold.

Our thoughts on it were that he would be studying the same material for school as for ATC it would be a good thing, but ATC would always come first. If it didn't work he could take to an instructor about giving him more time for the courses (they allow that) or there is the option that the course is 4 1/2 months, OKC is 3. It is work at your own pace so if he had to put school off, he could. With this information are we still completely off course? I thought taking the same classes was a good thing...2 birds and 1 stone.

Our thoughts on it were that he would be studying the same material for school as for ATC it would be a good thing, but ATC would always come first. If it didn't work he could take to an instructor about giving him more time for the courses (they allow that) or there is the option that the course is 4 1/2 months, OKC is 3. It is work at your own pace so if he had to put school off, he could. With this information are we still completely off course? I thought taking the same classes was a good thing...2 birds and 1 stone.

I am assuming you are talking about Utah Valley? I have a lot of experience with this school (110 credits). Don't let the 'Online' term fool you. Although you can work at your own pace, most classes require significant time studying and taking quizzes/tests. Many classes also require you to log in daily to post to a bulletin board to ensure you are paying attention to the class. I have attended both, online and traditional classes, and must say that they are equally difficult.
Also, if he decides to take classes while in OKC, make sure he checks to see which ones require an exam proctor. If he is in OKC during test time, it might be a pain trying to find someone to administer the exams (needs to be a professor, librarian, etc).
There are a few classes, however, that are pretty easy and probably could be done will in OKC, but don't assume that less credits equals easier...I made this mistake. Last semester I added on a one credit course (Aircraft Identification) to my four classes I was already taking, thinking it would be easy. I was wrong. It was one of the most time consuming classes I have taken. Not only were there about 20 tests, but you were required to draw 100 different aircraft and then mail the sketches into the professor for grading:(.
Having taken many classes there, I have decided to hold off on any future courses until I know what is going on with OKC. In my opinion, being selected to go OKC is a great opportunity and I don't want to blow it because I put too much on my plate.

PM me if you have questions.

ATC courses are a waste of time! buy him a copy of the 7110.65 and get the highlighter out!

if you REALLY want to help him out, take some classes in something OUTSIDE of ATC which are actually useful... like business. or accounting. you will use those in every day life.

K don't tell...but with the bulletin board stuff, usually I am the one that posts for him anyway cause he hates it and won't do it...he calls it babysitting and refuses to do that. I usually end up signing on for him and posting a comment or what not. Since I am studying with him, it is fairly easy to know what I am talking about.

K don't tell...but with the bulletin board stuff, usually I am the one that posts for him anyway cause he hates it and won't do it...he calls it babysitting and refuses to do that. I usually end up signing on for him and posting a comment or what not. Since I am studying with him, it is fairly easy to know what I am talking about.

hmmm... If he hates posting and won't do it....im my oponion he is not a canidate for online courses.

I'm thinking of buying an instrument pilot book and reading that. Should provide more structure than the FAA rulebook, and it might also give a different perspective on ATC procedures.

A little bit of general knowledge should go a long way; but randomly memorizing rules w/o class could be pretty useless.

For some reason he still is able to function well with the online courses he has taken so far.

I guess I phrased that kinda wrong. He doesn't mind posting, he hates being babysat online...you have to post x times 4 days a week about pointless stuff - that type of thing. He handles the occassional posts and such.

For some reason he still is able to function well with the online courses he has taken so far.

I guess I phrased that kinda wrong. He doesn't mind posting, he hates being babysat online...you have to post x times 4 days a week about pointless stuff - that type of thing. He handles the occassional posts and such.

my previous comment is recanted..

Back