Colgan Vacation time...

Seggy

I just passed my third year anniversary at Colgan and into my fourth year. According to my paycheck I get 10 days of vacation, but if you look at our employee manual it says I should get 15.

Anyone have an idea how much I get?

You'll get nothing and like it. :) :sarcasm:

Oh, the policy manual. I remember those! "Guidance only!"

I already took my two weeks. Our vacations go Saturday to Saturday.

They pay us for five of those days :rolleyes:. So I should, the way I and my chief pilot interpreted it, I should get another week.

Im so confused on this whole vacation thing. They really want me to decide before Nov 15th, when I want to take my vacation for NEXT year? Im a new hire and I dont get vacation until after my year mark, does that mean I should request my vacation after my year mark?

Nice how well it is explained to you eh? :sarcasm:

Anywho, say you where hired on June 7th, 2008. On June 7th 2009 you get one week vacation that you must use between June 7th 2009 and June 7th 2010. If you want to use it in 2009 then bid that. Say you want to go on Spring Break in March 2010 do not bid that week until next year.

Make sense?

Nice how well it is explained to you eh? :sarcasm:

Anywho, say you where hired on June 7th, 2008. On June 7th 2009 you get one week vacation that you must use between June 7th 2009 and June 7th 2010. If you want to use it in 2009 then bid that. Say you want to go on Spring Break in March 2010 do not bid that week until next year.

Make sense?

It makes so much sense I want to nominate you to write our new FOPPM.

My hire date was March something of 08. so if i want to try and get to a wedding next august, i need to bid for it now?

Im so confused on this whole vacation thing. They really want me to decide before Nov 15th, when I want to take my vacation for NEXT year? Im a new hire and I dont get vacation until after my year mark, does that mean I should request my vacation after my year mark?

At Southernjets, we're about to choose vacation for 2009/early 2010.

And to think. . .our vacation awards just came out for CY 2009.

Here's to hoping I can actually use what was awarded to me.

How dumb. This industry is dumb. Why did I want to be in this dumb place.

I think Im dumb.

Actually, it's a pretty good system from what I've seen.

Basically, I can snag a week sometime in the summer, a week in the late fall and maybe a week in early 2010, then actually plan something in advance.

Or every month, we can do vacation "move ups" where if another week comes available that we'd rather have, we can "move up" into that vacation week. or swap with another pilot.

Or you can just put 'em all together and take four weeks off, at least at the 11 year point.

Vacation is accrued in the follow manner:
1-year service-5 days vacation (18.75)
2-year service-10 days vacation (37.50)
3-years service-10 days vacation (37.50)
4-years service-15 days vacation (56.25)

from the policy manual

I'm sort of worried about my vacation bid. We break our bid into 4 rounds, by seniority. I will be bidding the as the most junior guy on the fourth round for my base. If the company ONLY publishes enough weeks to meet the number of weeks pilots have available, I'm going to get stuck with the first two weeks in January. Blah.

Vacation is accrued in the follow manner:
1-year service-5 days vacation (18.75)
2-year service-10 days vacation (37.50)
3-years service-10 days vacation (37.50)
4-years service-15 days vacation (56.25)

from the policy manual

That is correct. What this basically means is a person must COMPLETE 1 year of service to get 5 days of paid vacation to use during the second year of service. Or, you must complete 4 years of service to use the 15 days of paid vacation during your fifth year of service.

What are you talking about Segs? I'm not sure I'm following your statement/ question.

That is correct. What this basically means is a person must COMPLETE 1 year of service to get 5 days of paid vacation to use during the second year of service. Or, you must complete 4 years of service to use the 15 days of paid vacation during your fifth year of service.

What are you talking about Segs? I'm not sure I'm following your statement/ question.

He just passed the 3 year mark and is starting his 4th year, there was some confusion in whether you get 15 days at the start of your 4th year but I guess it's not until you complete the 4th year.

The problem i keep having is that I have 2 weeks of vacay i have to use by may and then my bank resets and i get two more weeks. I bid for two weeks before may and usually one week in the fall. They end up only awarding me two weeks only.

I think that's the way it works. I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary the end of November and I already bid (and got) my 5 days off in February. I would have preferred to get it around Christmas/New Year's but, obviously, senior people already got it. I had to wait for the October bid period to be announced.

Mach----you need to put your request in ASAP, to ensure you get it. Not sure how it works with pilots, but with FAs, there are 4 slots open for any given period. Clear as mud? :)

This thread is truly groundbreaking.

For the first time in over three years, two former Slaab folk, Cruise and Sherpa helped out a former Beech pilot with something he wasn't sure about.

99.9999999999999999999999999999999 percent of the time, the Beech men and women are holding the Slaab folk hands through simple stuff. Truly groundbreaking.

Back