Coast Guard C-27 clips runway at S.F. International

I wasn't familiar with the plane, but that's a bad ass looking setup ...

ac60709ea37c58daf391e85b3ae308a7.jpg

Also known as the JCA or Joint Cargo Aircraft, a pretty huge boondoggle of aircraft acquisition. The pointy end and other parts were helped along by Lockmart which is why it is extremely similar looking to the C-130J.
Some went straight to the boneyard until they were allocated else where from the ANG.

Wait, how the eff do you have a prop strike while taxiing? Especially in a high wing cargo aircraft?

Well, it helps when the gear is up. Just kidding, as I was wondering the same thing. That's rather the question, isn't it.

Awesome that the journalista writing the article felt it was necessary to include information about the Air Canada incident.

I hope we'll still see the Herks here, but these C-27s are neat to see. In and out of SFO frequently. One is still in the Air Force(I think) grey colors, too.

Wait, how the eff do you have a prop strike while taxiing? Especially in a high wing cargo aircraft?
Coworkers sent me pics, happened right across from the ramp tower. No idea how that one happened, honestly. Looks bizarre, happened over on Lima in the make-shift penalty box by 1R.

I wasn't familiar with the plane, but that's a bad ass looking setup ...

ac60709ea37c58daf391e85b3ae308a7.jpg

I had no idea that some of the C-27J fleet the Air Force retired all those years ago went to the Coast Guard:

Coast Guard aircraft clips runway at S.F. International

And the USFS too. USAF stole them from the Army, never intending to want to keep them, but not wanting the Army to have its own theatre airlift. They kept them for a year before sending them to the boneyard.

We had a C-27 that did this exact same thing at Camp Bastion, Afghanistan when I was there. Was taking the runway and was tipped by a crosswind.

And the USFS too. USAF stole them from the Army, never intending to want to keep them, but not wanting the Army to have its own theatre airlift. They kept them for a year before sending them to the boneyard.

The Coast Guard got I think 11 of them.

Army Special Ops Aviation (FW) got like 4 of them. And then a couple went to those guys we refuse to acknowledge exist but everybody knows they are around.

Still this should be left as a lesson to the Army to never believe the "I'm not gonna get it in your mouth," from the Air Force ever again when it comes to aircraft and funding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 123 wishes it was as bad as this thing...

The statement I got from one of the few FW guys who got to fly it was, "stupidly overpowered."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it should be. Power make good!

I refuse to call an airplane overpowered until I can comply with the clearance "climb and maintain orbit."

As it should be. Power make good!

I refuse to call an airplane overpowered until I can comply with the clearance "climb and maintain orbit."
When you're at idle, nose straight up, exceeding Vne, and accelerating, then you have too much power.

See you guys are thinking like pilots, not like people who have been Army....

You gotta remember this plane was going to be used to haul cargo packed by Joe. Particularly Special Forces Joe's out at some austere location with barely a runway and a 15K forklift to put the pallet on the ramp with.

When you've seen what passes in the Army for organized load planning, blocking and bracing, weighing, and securing for air load transported cargo, you wouldn't want to give people a plane with a flight envelope so robust.

Max 2G's and standard rate turns please....

The Douglas DC-4/C-54 can do one better: low level dirty/configured pass with two engines out on the same side, a go around from dirty with two engines out on the same side, restart of both those engines while on the go-around, as well as a loop.

No wonder this plane was one of the best wildland firefighting planes we had in our fleet. Shouldve kept them after the 2002 purge.

The Douglas DC-4/C-54 can do one better: low level dirty/configured pass with two engines out on the same side, a go around from dirty with two engines out on the same side, restart of both those engines while on the go-around, as well as a loop.

No wonder this plane was one of the best wildland firefighting planes we had in our fleet. Shouldve kept them after the 2002 purge.

Douglas: King of the prop transport.

Back