Cleared direct

MedicRyan

Ok, I have a question. This has happened to me a couple of times and I was wondering what the reasoning was.

Here is the situation: When starting an IFR flight, I am usually cleared direct to my first VOR, about 5 minutes before I reach the VOR I am given a turn to the right/left 10 degrees. They do not tell me it is for traffic they just say turn. At this point I am no longer going direct.

What is the reasoning for this?

Do I stay on the new heading, which will take me off course?

Ok, I have a question. This has happened to me a couple of times and I was wondering what the reasoning was.

Here is the situation: When starting an IFR flight, I am usually cleared direct to my first VOR, about 5 minutes before I reach the VOR I am given a turn to the right/left 10 degrees. They do not tell me it is for traffic they just say turn. At this point I am no longer going direct.

Correct. You are given a new clearance which includes "turn to [this] heading". Ask why if you are curious. They'll usually tell you. If its an IAF, there may be a high volume of traffic in the area.

You will stay the new heading until you've reached your next point in your route or they'll come back and say "resume own nav" in which then you'd resume your own navigation back on the course you were given in your clearance.

I have been routed around a VOR when at a lower altitude mostly because of other traffic potential using the VOR. On a VFR flight one time we saw another plan in a hold at the VOR as we went around.

Generally I notice when they turn me like this, they are setting me up for a shortcut.

Obviously, it could be traffic related too. But ATC generally tells you when it's traffic related (ie "turn 10 left for traffic").

They're probably just cutting the corner to save you some time.

You will stay the new heading until you've reached your next point in your route ...

INcorrect. You'll stay on the assigned heading until receiving another clearance, or until you lose radio contact, at which point those rules intervene. The "next point in your route" is irrelevant.

When you're assigned a heading, fly the heading. It really IS that simple.

ATC SHOULD give you a reason for the vector, but often times they'll skip that because they're busy trying to DEAL with the reason. If it's been a while, and it's quiet, and you're curious or suspicious, just ask, "Say reason for vector, and when can I expect further clearance?" Then you might hear something like, "Short vector for traffic, expect clearance on course in 6 miles." That's good information to have if you go NORDO, right?

OK... quick review. Your flight plan goes from Airport A to VOR B then to VOR C and then to VOR D, and eventually to Airport X. You take off, and are cleared direct to VOR B. Prior to reaching VOR B, you are given a vector. This vector takes you abeam VOR B, and directly over VOR C. What do you do? Turn towards VOR D, since that's what your flightplan calls for? Or continue on the assigned heading? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Meritflyer, perhaps you meant to say that. I just wanted to clarify on the chance that someone would interpret your advice literally.

:)

Anytime you are vectored a reason should be stated... vectors traffic, climb, decent, airspace, the airway, whatever. The reason is to avoid confusion ... exactly what is going on here. When I give OJT that is a pet peeve of mine, let the pilot know why you are vectoring them. It keeps the pilots in the loop so they can prepare for the next instruction. I vector an A/C off the airway to descend him I make sure he knows, turn 20 degrees left, vectors decent, descend and maintain eight thousand, expect direct XXX leaving ten thousand. That scenario puts the pilot in the loop, he now knows the faster he gets to 10K the sooner he'll get turned back on course, the crew can preplan for the next fix, this way when they are cleared they are ready.

You should be getting a reason ...

Back