Clear the area a Mercury jet is coming in

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Ok you have to be kidding me. After what I thought was going to be an isolated incident with the one mercury pilot clogging the airways asking about the UND warrior, this week is full of stories.

Earlier in the week the pilots were supposed to follow the Riddle Hill Visual into runway 7. Some how they got lined up to fly into runway 5 at Fairchild AFB, they got close to the runway at the AFB and called a go-around tower came back with "You are still 10 miles away cleared to land at the Spokane Intl airport runway 7" Another soft voice reply and they made it down on the correct runway.

Yesterday an aircraft taxis to runway 7 instead of 25. Don't know how that happened. Must have been a huge brain fart.

Today nearly the same taxi incident when the pilot read back the incorrect taxi instructions twice. Ground told them to hold and follow the cactus instead. They sat there on the ramp and waited for the cactus to push back and then taxi by so they could follow.

The controllers are begining to be a little wary with the skills of these pilots and so am I. If you are flying a mini 737 you should have more skill then your average foreign student pilot.

This is shocking. One would assume that the regionals only employ the finest pilots, considering the outstanding compensation packages they currently offer! :sarcasm:

They're just...a little distracted right now. Maybe they should be doing IMSAFE before they fly!

The other night I watched one land in ATL without a clearance.

But to be fair that happens a lot. Something about telling everybody to contact tower directly over the final approach fix (when you start getting really busy).

The other night I watched one land in ATL without a clearance.

But to be fair that happens a lot. Something about telling everybody to contact tower directly over the final approach fix (when you start getting really busy).

So what are they lacking in the training process where they make this many errors?

So what are they lacking in the training process where they make this many errors?

I don't think they were absent the day that they taught that, or they wouldn't have certificates in their wallet.

However, I will say that GEG is a new airport for them. So, that does add a bit to the story.

It's unfair to assume that Republic's training is lacking just because you've seen 3 mistakes. I've spent a lot of time in their jumpseat and with only one exception they were exceedingly professional. *Every* airline has pilots that make mistakes, especially when they're going into new (for them) airports.

If an airline is your goal, you will undoubtedly make a fair number of mistakes along the way...and if the most serious ones you make are lining up at the wrong airport and then catching it, taxiing to the wrong runway, or messing up a taxi clearance readback, you're actually doing OK. Sounds like no people or airplanes got hurt and no one (probably) got violated. Learn from it, don't do it again, you know? I used to make fun of airline pilots too when I would hear them screw up, but now I understand a little better.

Why is Republic even flying into Spokane?

Never mind, I just saw they fly ORD-GEG in the E170. Lovely, 3.5 hrs. in an "RJ". They must have replaces the UA A319/B737s.

I don't think they were absent the day that they taught that, or they wouldn't have certificates in their wallet.

However, I will say that GEG is a new airport for them. So, that does add a bit to the story.

The new airport does factor in but don't you look at your charts before coming in? It's fairly simple if you put the 360 radial in the box it takes you between the two airports and not 15 miles off course like they were.

Don't you brief airport diagrams with the instructions you have been given? Especially with multiple closures and the only way to get to the runway they went to was two taxiways instead of the 5 that they were instructed to follow?

I could understand having trouble writting down the 5 taxiways they were given it can be difficult to do that.

Again I guess I fixate on it more because of my interest in the human factors in flight

It's unfair to assume that Republic's training is lacking just because you've seen 3 mistakes. I've spent a lot of time in their jumpseat and with only one exception they were exceedingly professional. *Every* airline has pilots that make mistakes, especially when they're going into new (for them) airports.

If an airline is your goal, you will undoubtedly make a fair number of mistakes along the way...and if the most serious ones you make are lining up at the wrong airport and then catching it, taxiing to the wrong runway, or messing up a taxi clearance readback, you're actually doing OK. Sounds like no people or airplanes got hurt and no one (probably) got violated. Learn from it, don't do it again, you know? I used to make fun of airline pilots too when I would hear them screw up, but now I understand a little better.

Oh I know that everyone makes mistakes and I am not perfect either but when there has been that many mistakes in one week by three different crews I find that a little odd.

Why is Republic even flying into Spokane?

Never mind, I just saw they fly ORD-GEG in the E170. Lovely, 3.5 hrs. in an "RJ". They must have replaces the UA A319/B737s.

Bye bye big jets, hello baby jets. :(

Who the hell is "Mercury" anyway? I've heard 'em on the radio a few times, but being lazy, I haven't looked them up.

Re: Mercury

Good lord.

How many callsigns can a company have?

One of my friends is a controller at Spokane, she's been working clearance/ground lately...she said the "Republic" pilot's have been testing her patience lately. Take it for what it's worth, but when a controller (who herself is an ATP, Lear 45 type rated) says you're getting it wrong 8 out of 10 times...

Going into Spokane one morning, we had to do 7, 360 turns for Southwest because they couldn't find the plane there were supposed to follow in...I thought my Captain was going to come unglued!

Take it for what it's worth, but when a controller (who herself is an ATP, Lear 45 type rated) says you're getting it wrong 8 out of 10 times...

LOL - well, that's not worth that much. I stopped caring about what controllers thought about 10 years ago!

Back