Civilian opportunity to fly in a fighter jet.

Ammolite

I've heard, albeit anecdotally, of a few non-AF folks being offered the opportunity to fly as co-pilot in a flighter jet, for a recreational experience.

Where might one do this? Is the whole thing poppycock?

I've heard, albeit anecdotally, of a few non-AF folks being offered the opportunity to fly as co-pilot in a flighter jet, for a recreational experience.

Where might one do this? Is the whole thing poppycock?

I'm sorry, did you just say poppycock?

There have been a few JROTC and Civil Air Patrol types who have been offered incentive rides at my base (T-1's, T-6's and T-38's-- not exactly fighters, but still pretty cool). I've also heard of civilian VIP's offered rides, but not just your average joe civilian.

To make that sort of a thing happen, it's usually a reward/community relations sort of a thing. Calling the local base public affairs office is probably the place to get the ball rolling to set something like that up.

Ditto to what fish said. Some civilians get a ride, but it's only in very specific circumstances.

On the other hand, you can pay to go do it in Russia and South Africa.

The only civilians I've seen get fighter rides, aside from the rare CAP cadet, are those where there is a publicity factor involved...the media, local politicians, celebrities of all stripes (actors, musicians, pro athletes, NASCAR drivers, etc). Recently, one well-established podcaster scored an F-16 ride, so the AF's definition of "media" is broadening.

I can see it now. The military starts funding their operations by charging for back seat rides. Soon afterwards, the dust-up about PFT/PFJ will start up.

Back