Civilian instructions on how to land an airliner

Lol, I love the comments from all the people who said that they are going to print out the article and bring it with them the next time they fly.

Here's a bright idea, why don't you come out to the airport, myself and all the other CFIs out there will be more then happy to show you how to land an airplane. Now this is crazy but we will actually let you fly the plane and land it too, wow.:sarcasm:

16092172_db17936603.jpg

He is soo high above the glidescope, its not even funny, I hope the fools reading this don't actually try to land from this angle whenever they "takeover" their airliner:laff:

its an optical illusion from someone taking the picture with the lense zoomed. If you look at the altimeter, he is only 100ft MSL.

why not throw in a barrel roll and land on the taxiway for style points? its probably not illegal.

Just carry a Chuck Norris spare just in case. If I remember right he crashed into a lake and got a car stuck on the landing gear. Good luck!!

its an optical illusion from someone taking the picture with the lense zoomed. If you look at the altimeter, he is only 100ft MSL.

At 100ft you generally will be close to the runway threshold.

Thanks for this post, I needed a good laugh. The fact is even after some miracle where a non pilot manages to get the airplane lined up with a runway properly configured(like in the movies:rolleyes:), they will have about a 90% probability that they will crash it into the ground. Have you ever put someone with no flying experience in a simulator and had them attempt to land an airplane? Now imagine on an actual airplane.

Butt

Surely you cannot be serious.

Anyone with more than a dozen hours of flying can back me up on this.

That view of the runway is not what you see at 100' AGL. No way, no how.

Furthermore the GPS shows a lot of water around what appears to be quite a busy airport. Odds are good that this airport, then, is at sea level. The altimeter indicates 1100' MSL. The sight picture of the runway with four white PAPI lights and what appears to be about a mile final and way way above the glidelsope mostly supports that altimeter to set to a sea level airport.

I've taken at least a hundred pictures out of airplane windows with a telephoto lens and that lens does not create the illusion you've described.

If you're going to make inane arguments to people who know you're wrong, be prepared for factual explanations such as this.

Back