Choosing an Alternate

juxtapilot

Snowflake
Some airports do not have weather forcasts. If one of these airports is your destination, how do you determine whether or not you need to list an alternate?

and remember just because you filed that airport as your alternate, you don't have to go there

and remember just because you filed that airport as your alternate, you don't have to go there

That's a very good point. You don't have to fly to your filed alternate should you find yourself not able to get into your destination airport.

However, if you are NORDO, continuing to your filed alternate is exactly what ATC will expect you to do.

Reference?

(c) IFR alternate airport weather minima. Unless otherwise
authorized by the Administrator, no person may include an alternate
airport in an IFR flight plan unless appropriate weather reports or
weather forecasts
, or a combination of them, indicate that, at the
estimated time of arrival at the alternate airport, the ceiling and
visibility at that airport will be at or above the following weather
minima:

Reference?

tgrayson IS the reference :). He's a walking FAR/AIM (with semi-annual updates)/Aerodynamics data bank! Personally, I would feel a little better about my own ignorance if I knew he was at least 115 years old to have acquired that much knowledge.

Correct, the FA.

I dispatched at a carrier and the place where we would send a plane for a heavy check didnt have an FT; so we used the FA.

And continuing to your filed alternate when NORDO is irrelevant, because (at least before domestic ICAO flight plans), ATC didnt get which airport you filed as an alternate; well, it wasnt on the strips the controller sees.

Back