Choosing a specific regional

kddx

Hello everyone! I'm about to start school for my dispatch license, and I was wondering how difficult it is to get into a specific regional. Based on browsing this forum, it looks like regionals tend to hire often since most places are short on dispatchers. I have family in Seattle and Oregon so I would like to work at Horizon Air, as it would make living on regional wage a lot easier. All responses are appreciated, glad I found this forum :)

As hiring is ongoing at a majors, now is the time that regionals seek dispatchers. Regionals are a great way to get experience to move onto a major. In your case since you wish to work at Horizon, I have heard that Alaska typically picks up dispatchers from there. Also heard they are even in the SAME building. Another regional that usually gets great major pickups is Skywest among others. Either way you will gain valuable experience.

Skywest or Horizon would be good starting points, but locality does not necessarily guarantee a spot. Be prepared to pack, and make a commute halfway or all-way across the country if your regional is the first stop. As an East Coaster, Piedmont and Atlantic Coast were (once upon a time) some places I had in mind, but one didn't hire and the other didn't exist long. Another option is to check out 135/91 shops, and see how the experience plays into the ticket. I've found the "Stage Crew" roles from theater to be comparable.

Good luck getting your ticket! May the odds be ever in your favor. And don't forget to set aside some moneys. Or coffees.

As hiring is ongoing at a majors, now is the time that regionals seek dispatchers. Regionals are a great way to get experience to move onto a major. In your case since you wish to work at Horizon, I have heard that Alaska typically picks up dispatchers from there. Also heard they are even in the SAME building. Another regional that usually gets great major pickups is Skywest among others. Either way you will gain valuable experience.
Ah, that's good to hear, makes me a bit hopeful! I don't really mind going to any major later in my career, just prefer Horizon as my regional for living situation purposes since regional wages can be brutal.

Skywest or Horizon would be good starting points, but locality does not necessarily guarantee a spot. Be prepared to pack, and make a commute halfway or all-way across the country if your regional is the first stop. As an East Coaster, Piedmont and Atlantic Coast were (once upon a time) some places I had in mind, but one didn't hire and the other didn't exist long. Another option is to check out 135/91 shops, and see how the experience plays into the ticket. I've found the "Stage Crew" roles from theater to be comparable.

Good luck getting your ticket! May the odds be ever in your favor. And don't forget to set aside some moneys. Or coffees.
I'm aware that locality doesn't guarantee a spot, and I'm definitely prepared to move to other regionals if I have to! Just wondering if it's worth waiting on open position at Horizon (as this will save me a lot of money along the line, since I would be living at home in Seattle), or if I should just take the first offer I receive. Thank you for the good luck!

I'm aware that locality doesn't guarantee a spot, and I'm definitely prepared to move to other regionals if I have to! Just wondering if it's worth waiting on open position at Horizon (as this will save me a lot of money along the line, since I would be living at home in Seattle), or if I should just take the first offer I receive. Thank you for the good luck!
Waiting on your preferred regional may not make financial sense if it takes 6 months to a year to get on there. That's time spent that could have possibly gotten you onto a major. So when you look at it from that aspect of the financials. Either way, best of luck. Great time to be getting in.

Back