Chicagoland Geo-pref

lifter123

Does anybody have any insider information on how the facilities in Chicagoland [staffing levels] are doing? I'm interested in putting that down because of the wide variation i facility levels. I know a lot of new hires are getting level 12, but Chicago has MDW, PWK, and ORD; all three very different atc levels. Thanks

Also has DuPage, Aurora, and Gary. Staffing levels however I have heard are good except for Elgin Tracon.

The majority of ATC's in Chicago are at the Chicago tracon and the Chicago enroute center, from what I read the chicago center employ's over 400 ATC's
both are level 12 facility's and very hard to say the least

Here are some of the Chicago numbers i don't know how updated or acurate this info is but gives you an idea of staffing levels

CHICAGO ARTCC
Illinois

Type of Facility: Air Route Traffic Control Center
Serves northern Illinois, eastern Iowa, southern Wisconsin, northern Indiana, southwestern Michigan
Authorized certified controllers & trainees: 460
Number of certified controllers, actual: 398
Number of trainees, actual: 42
Percent staffed: 96
Number of certified controllers
eligible for retirement at end of fiscal 2007: 91

CHICAGO TRACON
Illinois

Type of Facility: Terminal Radar Approach Control
Serves Aurora, Chicago Midway, Chicago O'Hare, and Palwaukee airports
Authorized certified controllers & trainees: 101
Number of certified controllers, actual: 75
Number of trainees, actual: 17
Percent staffed: 91
eligible for retirement at end of fiscal 2007: 36

CHICAGO O'HARE INTL ATCT
Chicago, Illinois

Type of Facility: Air Traffic Control Tower

Authorized certified controllers & trainees: 71
Number of certified controllers, actual: 47
Number of trainees, actual: 11
Percent staffed: 82
eligible for retirement at end of fiscal 2007: 11

CHICAGO MIDWAY ATCT
Chicago, Illinois

Type of Facility: Air Traffic Control Tower

Authorized certified controllers & trainees: 28
Number of certified controllers, actual: 25
Number of trainees, actual: 3
Percent staffed: 100
eligible for retirement at end of fiscal 2007: 8

http://data.gannettnewsservice.com/airtraffic/airindex1.php

So it sounds like Chicago is doing overall pretty well. Will they release the 2008 data in the first part of 2009 then?

I just want to have the best chance of getting picked for one of my choices. It'll probably be more like this...I'd like to go to ORD or MSP... their response...Congratulations, you have been selected for a position in the tower at Palm Springs, CA.

How difficult is it to get into the Chicago en route center? I'm a newbie taking the atsat and this would be my first choice.

Just do good on the test and you should get your wish. All the people i know who got over a 90 got a center or high level tracon. I got a 93 and was selected for Chicago tracon.

I got a 99 on my ATC and was selected to a level 5 tower, I couldn't be any happier its like 45 min drive my house. I think Chicago is a great place to put as your Geo pref. if you have CTI training you has an excellent chance of getting the Chicago center or Traccon, both level 12 facilities:nana2::nana2:

Back