Changing Runway Ops

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
How do controllers go about changing runways operations at major airports. For example here in PHX the main runways for use are 07L/R and 08.

But depending on wind,noise abatement,time of day or just whatever they'll switch over to the 25's & 26. So my question is when you have all traffic coming in to one or several runways of the same headings on similar approach cooridors to said runway(s) is changing runways easy or complicated?

For example I hear that in busy airports like LAX or any of the busy NYC airports changing runways is a severe headache. Also who makes the call to change runway ops? The tower controllers or approach contollers,and how do both work together in a runways change operation?

TWR controllers make the call. Actually, the supervisor on shift will make the call.

A number of factors that will play into it are the winds, time of day, etc etc. Each facility has their own SOPs that will dictate what conditions have to be met before they will switch runways. A majority of airports have a calm wind runway configuration, and for it to change, conditions must fall into another category of configuration.

It can be a headache. Just imagine a frontal passage, where winds out ahead of the front are from the SW, and after passage they shift quickly to the NW. Now imagine this wind shift during peak traffic at any number of Class B fields. Combined with the convection associated with cold FROPA, the STARs are getting messy (TRACON), holds are occuring (ENROUTE), and a shift occurs in the RWY config (TWR). All starting from the bottom up.

All in a days work.

Does it get difficult sequencing approaching traffic from contact with departing traffic as the switch is made?

Well, usually. . . no. The TWR and TRACON will come to an agreement who the last arrival for the present configuration is. After that arrival, any new arrivals will begin to be sequenced for the new configuration. It just means that, the TWR can't release the depatures on the new configuration until after that last arrival comes in. But once again, I must stress. . . this is the general process. Each facility is different.

A few delay vectors for the arrivals going to the new runway, and maybe an aircraft or 2 landing downwind, hold the departures, and you're good to go. If its VMC with parallel runways, you can go with simultaneous opposite direction operations as described in 7110.65 3-8-4 and never have to inconvenience the departures.

Wow! There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that never really occured to me. It sure is nice to be the pilot and just do what they tell me. :)

Back