Changes to the GI bill are here

JDean3204

I decided to start this thread in general topics in order to get the most exposure, feel free to move it if needed.

I was notified this week about some changes that are happening to the funding from the VA for flight training. These changes are in effect due to certain programs taking advantage of the "open checkbook" that their veteran students had for the last five years. Apparently certain schools were charging over 200,000 dollars for veterans trying to earn their rotary wing tickets, starting them right in turbine equipment. I will leave this program and others nameless, as it is already a done deal. However, these changes will be detrimental to those who are deciding to use their benefits for an approved 2 or 4 year flight program under the Post 9-11 GI Bill.

For example, I attended Portland Community College for the 2 year degree which included all tickets through MEI. At the time this was covered 100 percent, and covered at the rate of the "average" students pace as far as funding was concerned. Most terms I had more than enough to finish the course, only one term did I need to supplement the funds with my own savings. I was able to complete most of the program (without the CFI option) with about 3K out of pocket in total.

With the changes that are taking place next semester, this will not be the case for a prospective student. These are the big changes that will take place at least at PCC..

-Private Pilot will not be funded (Hillsboro Aero Academy quotes PPL at about $13,000)
-Instrument rating will be covered only at the bare mins for the FAA (35hours), there willnot be a buffer there for the "average" pace of a student. So either learn everything very quickly or be prepared to pay out of pocket to finish up.
-Commercial training will be the same as instrument, enough for the 120 hours in course needed to complete the syllabus requirements (this should not be an issue).
-CFI/CFII/MEI is still under construction by the school as far as coverage is concerned.

I am choosing to write about this because I know the stress that is involved in getting out of a stable career and putting all your eggs in one basket. I honestly cannot say that I would use the "new" benefits to enroll in an approved course, you would be better off going to a four year school and getting a real degree. While attending that university, save up and work on the ratings on the side. It is honestly not worth jumping through all of the hoops these programs include in order to complete their program if you are now funding 30-40 percent of it yourself. That percentage sounds low, but remember these programs usually have jacked up prices. You will find instruction that is just as good at other locations for a much cheaper price.

I am saddened to hear about these changes, at the same time I am very grateful that I was able to take advantage of the GI Bill when I did. If you really want something, you WILL find a way to get it done, just remember to be smart about it financially. The more money in loans you rack up, the more you will pay back. I can tell you if I had to pay a 500-600 dollar loan a month on my current FO pay scale I would be in a very bad financial situation.

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense pulling this nonsense when there aren't a heck of alot of guys going into the training pipeline to start with. Yet, I could take my 6 months of remaining eligibility and throw it away on philosophy classes (Not necessarily knocking the Humanities; my BS was in History) without the VA and Congress blinking.

So... no equipment limitations still? What's going to stop the schools from having guys do all their commercial minimums in a Bell 407 and make up the change in an R22?

Unfortunately a system that does not have the veteran with some "skin" in the game will get out of hand as this one quickly did. Probably should have kept something in place where the vet payed a percentage of the flight training, even if it was minimal such as 10%.

Unfortunately a system that does not have the veteran with some "skin" in the game will get out of hand as this one quickly did. Probably should have kept something in place where the vet payed a percentage of the flight training, even if it was minimal such as 10%.
How does that compare to post 9/11 where the veteran pays zero and potentially makes money while going to traditional brick and mortar school?

The government would rather die a slow death with a million papercuts (i.e. paying for lit degrees) than to continue a good program. (I'm not saying these programs didn't take advantage of the VA funding).

Glad I made full use of it when I did then. (Used ATP to get my CMEL/CSEL, already had my PPL/Instrument through the traditional 60/40 GI Bill)

How does that compare to post 9/11 where the veteran pays zero and potentially makes money while going to traditional brick and mortar school?

The government would rather die a slow death with a million papercuts (i.e. paying for lit degrees) than to continue a good program. (I'm not saying these programs didn't take advantage of the VA funding).

Glad I made full use of it when I did then. (Used ATP to get my CMEL/CSEL, already had my PPL/Instrument through the traditional 60/40 GI Bill)

That's why I haven't converted from the Montgomery (Chapter 30) GI bill. Because even though it only covers 60%, I'm never going to be in a school-type program where I'm a full time student or even taking classes, to where the post 9/11 is something I can use. All I'd be using mine for is for flight courses/ratings.

That's a bummer,

I have about 4 years of eligibility left on the post-9/11 GI bill. I was planning trying to get either a commercial / instrument or an ATP rotary wing add-on to my ATP certificate. I had just started researching schools around the area that would be able to work with me while I do my normal job of being a Part 121 FO flying domestically.

It was either that or use the GI bill to do some type ratings - I thought about a 737 type, but that didn't appeal to me then I thought about something outrageous, like a 747, A380, A350 type - but that still didn't appeal to me.

What about the school's that label the flying costs as fees instead of tuition? Tuition is capped but fees are unlimited when using the GI Bill. Thats at least how it was done when I used it. Is that what is changing now?

That's why I haven't converted from the Montgomery (Chapter 30) GI bill. Because even though it only covers 60%, I'm never going to be in a school-type program where I'm a full time student or even taking classes, to where the post 9/11 is something I can use. All I'd be using mine for is for flight courses/ratings.
I'm in the same boat.
I'm doing online school for another degree. I really have no use for flight training, unless I can finagle a hot air ballon certificate...

Im planning on starting a 4 yr program next fall. Hopefully they won't change the rules again considering im quitting my job and moving my family for it.

Related question. Will tricare prime cover a flight physical? I just went and got my class 2 student pilot signoff today and the receptionist told me ins usually doesn't cover special physicals do they usually don't submit them. So i paid out if pocket. But i was free to try and submit it myself.

@Wardogg
Generally no. However it's a tax write-off.

I cheated the system last year and had my flight surgeon (also an AME) do an FAA Cat 1.

Wow! Hillsboro Aero gets $13K for a PPL?! I don't know what they're average pace is, but I can't help but wonder if they were using their foreign students as a part of that average.

On a side note - I believe the change only affected university programs. Does anyone recall if it affected the use of funding for training at a 141/142 school?

Back