CFI’s, please teach your students radio awareness

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I’m convinced the SEATAC controllers ADSB feed tells them when we’re in the middle of capturing the new altitude.
Center controllers have those fancy toys cause they are handicapped, excuse me, handicapable but all ADSB does for us approach folks for the most part is tell us your call sign while you’re squawking 1200.

greg1016

Trustworthy Source
Center controllers have those fancy toys cause they are handicapped, excuse me, handicapable but all ADSB does for us approach folks for the most part is tell us your call sign while you’re squawking 1200.
We had a radar outage last week and thanks to ADS-B it had zero effect on the the operation. Of course they use Fuse mode at a.90

web265

“Goooooooooo eve’nin center SouthernJets twenah-FIIIIIIIIIIIIVE-Ninety-two checkin’ in with you onboard at FL three two zero how ya doin’?”

lands
*texts lead line check pilot*
*inquires about extending student with special emphasis on basic radio work*
I'm EWR based and I swear that there are some folks trying to make a point of some kind by speaking more slowly than they have to on the way in..usually heavies ... it's like they're trying to slow the controller down by example or something...

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
I'm EWR based and I swear that there are some folks trying to make a point of some kind by speaking more slowly than they have to on the way in..usually heavies ... it's like they're trying to slow the controller down by example or something...
I've started talking much slower during transmissions since I started regularly flying into non English speaking countries.

Soul Brotha'

I love it when we are getting a reroute(verbally), from ATC, in the air due to weather and then right in the middle, “Yeah, DL/SW/JB XXX at FL340, we need to deviate for weather. What are other guys doing?” Just wait 5 seconds after switching to see if anyone is talking.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
I love it when we are getting a reroute(verbally), from ATC, in the air due to weather and then right in the middle, “Yeah, DL/SW/JB XXX at FL340, we need to deviate for weather. What are other guys doing?” Just wait 5 seconds after switching to see if anyone is talking.
it’s the Class A airspace version of “any traffic, please advise” for uncontrolled airports. :)

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
I've started talking much slower during transmissions since I started regularly flying into non English speaking countries.
That was the worst when we had a new ER or 330 pilot.

"Shanwick, Della Faaaaaaaaahve fowty ninnnnnnne, forty five north farrrrrty west fifteeeeeeen forteeeeeeeen zulu, flight level..."

"Uhh, station calling?"

Off radio: "Skippy, it's Delta five-four-nine, four-five north, four-zero west, one-five-one-four zulu... and you're on HF, slow the hell down and think 'ICAO'"

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Off radio: "Skippy, it's Delta five-four-nine, four-five north, four-zero west, one-five-one-four zulu... and you're on HF, slow the hell down and think 'ICAO'"
I have an over beers story about using call sign vs. phonetic letters and difficult captains.

That was the worst when we had a new ER or 330 pilot.

"Shanwick, Della Faaaaaaaaahve fowty ninnnnnnne, forty five north farrrrrty west fifteeeeeeen forteeeeeeeen zulu, flight level..."

"Uhh, station calling?"

Yikes. You mean the MMPI and shrink interview didn’t weed these people out? Weird. Bet you he can recite page 59 of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators: Delta edition. :p

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
Yikes. You mean the MMPI and shrink interview didn’t weed these people out? Weird. Bet you he can recite page 59 of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators: Delta edition. :p
You should be a lot happier after finally being able to hold that long Kansas City, layover! :)