CFI's BEING DISHONEST

The requirements are just a minimum, set forth in the FAR's. Most students I've signed off require more than that to pass the checkride. I personally won't endorse an 8710 if they are not ready. But, I try to give them the most bang for their buck and keep the flight lessons short.

I actually took a few minutes to make a spreadsheet with the specific FAR requirement quoted next to all the requirements and I give it to all my students when I start with them. I put it in writing with them and I both signing it that this is the Minimum requirement and they understand that they may need more than that. It also includes expectations and limitations that they can expect from me, and what I will expect from them as a student. They understand that I train to proficiency, not to minimum requirements. They understand that I make it my job to give them quality training and that they will not be endorsed for a checkride until I am confident they are ready.

Its sort of a contract between us so there is no ambiguity with what is going on. I have not had one complaint about it yet.

Edit to add: Yes I did have an instructor that was trying to milk me for hours/money. It really pissed me off, so I refuse to do it to my students, and have zero respect for instructors that do it.

I actually took a few minutes to make a spreadsheet with the specific FAR requirement quoted next to all the requirements and I give it to all my students when I start with them. I put it in writing with them and I both signing it that this is the Minimum requirement and they understand that they may need more than that. It also includes expectations and limitations that they can expect from me, and what I will expect from them as a student. They understand that I train to proficiency, not to minimum requirements. They understand that I make it my job to give them quality training and that they will not be endorsed for a checkride until I am confident they are ready.

Its sort of a contract between us so there is no ambiguity with what is going on. I have not had one complaint about it yet.

That is an excellent idea that EVERY instructor should adopt. I started doing that back in 2003 to make sure ALL of my students were on the same page. I also had students make an addendum to the contract to include THEIR expectations of me. I never had any problems after instituting that policy with my own students.

Michael

I've had a few that loved to milk people. Bastages.

Keep 'em on the straight and narrow, or they'll rob you.

Trust in your CFI should be one of the absolutes in training. If you do not trust the instructor, you can not effectibly learn. As outlined in the FOI.

If you have an issue, or think they are being dishonest, you must talk to them. If you don't like the answer, move on. I'm not telling people to confront their instructors in a hostile way, but ask. If a student ever thought they were nehind the ball, or i was wrong i worked with them. I also encouraged them to fly with other instructors, and stay with the one that they felt fit them best. That often resulted in them staying exclusivly with me... I'd guess because they then felt like i really had their best interests in mind.

I once had a CFI have me fly about 50 NM to a park where his family was camping, so he could say "my airplane" and circle low over his wife and kid and have them wave at him while he was on his cell phone talking to them. This was during my supposed bi-annual flight review.

That is just terrible. That is the kind of selfish CFI that is a time builder and doesn't realize how rewarding it can be teach and give someone a chance at aviation.

I really like the idea of having some sort of agreement and an outline of what is expected, that way you don't overlook something. my problem as of late is that I haven't had the availability to sit down with an instructor and hash out what I need to do to finish my commercial. If I get a chance to be an instructor (which I hope I do, I would like to adopt the "agreement" between an instructor and student)

That is just terrible. That is the kind of selfish CFI that is a time builder and doesn't realize how rewarding it can be teach and give someone a chance at aviation.

I agree....instructing is meant to teach, not to build flight time.

Back