CFII Written

Beech90

Has anyone taken the CFII written recently? I'm getting ready to start to study it, and was wondering what did you use? It's 50 questions right?

I'll probably use it. I found the written tests are easier if you know the material vs just memorizing. (What would have thought :rolleyes: )

Sheppard is definitely the way to go. Use the time you saved putting more thought into your lessons and actually "learning the material" where it matters. Don't waste your time on the written, just get it out of the way and get onto the more important aspects of the CFII. Plus, you won't fail with it, it just may save you another $150 bucks nowadays.

Good luck!

Just in case it wasn't obvious, I recommend Sheppard Air, too.

Learn the material until you feel comfortable teaching, but when you're ready to take the exam(s), buy the Sheppard software to study.

I'm about to take it today. It's the exact same test as the Instrument Pilot, but with one extra question. And that's if you can log actual as an instructor. Or something like that.

I just studied using my instrument written Gleim book. Had I known about Sheppard Air sooner, I think I would have used them for everything, but I didn't... Good luck man, and yes let us know how it goes!

First lesson you need to know as a CFII is to tell your professional pilot students to take the CFII knowledge test the same day as the Instrument knowledge test.
I've heard this... So if I went the Sheppard route to study for the Instrument written, I would be good to go on the CFII written without any additional studying and could turn around and take both same day?

I've heard this... So if I went the Sheppard route to study for the Instrument written, I would be good to go on the CFII written without any additional studying and could turn around and take both same day?
yep. The day I took my CFII I took my IGI as well, I studied the Instrument Gleim because my instructor neglected to tell me this little bit of info.

yep. The day I took my CFII I took my IGI as well, I studied the Instrument Gleim because my instructor neglected to tell me this little bit of info.
So are there two instrument instructor writtens that must be taken? FII and IGI?

Only if you want to get your ground instructor certificate, why not just one more test. You need IGI or AGI to get a gold seal

You may want to talk to someone at Sheppard about that. I know its the case with other preps but I think they break them down different. When I took mine they told me to use the CFII prep first take the test then do the IRA prep and test, I think. The IRA prep was ~900 questions the CFII was ~300.

If you do take the IGI test just be prepared for a few helicopter questions. I didn't study anything outside of the the IRA Gleim and whenever a helicopter question came up I selected an answer that would not have been correct for an airplane.

Back