CFII and IGI test

MikeR

Hello everyone, I haven't been able to directly address an answer to a question I have. Maybe someone here knows?

I have used the King's IFR ground course to complete the IFR written. Would this course also adequately prepare me to achieve the IGI and CFII written?
I understand the IGI and CFII writtens are exactly the same questions as the IFR written, is this information precisely accurate?

I have used the King's courses on the following written tests, with quality results, IFR, Commercial, FOI, AGI, CFI.

I do understand the AGI, IGI ratings are usually for nonpilot instructors. The AGI written did have the same questions as the CFI written did.

Thanks, I appreciate all feedback!

Last edited:
IGI also includes a few helicopter specific questions. Review helicopter visibility, fuel and alternate minimums. I recommend getting Ground instructor certificates as long as you are studying, the tests do not cost much and the Ground instructor certificates do not expire, I say this because I had to retake FOI because I got away from flying for a few years.

I have used Sheppard Air for test prep and it works well for me.

I used an IGI pass as showing I was ready for the -instrument Airplane written and failed the first time.

They are close but not the same. Definitely agree on the Ground Instructor certs though!

Alex.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I have decided to get the AGI, IGI simply because of a instructor I have currently.

The difference in instructors is huge. I didn't realize how important the CFI role was until I met my current instructor. My current instructor is so very cooperative, mature and thoughtful. Not once have I caught him bluffing on any topics. It has really opened my eyes how instructors sets examples/habits in motion in the students future avaition ambitions.

For those who have been wondering.. The IGI test did have helicopter directed questions. I studied the FAR/AIM in regards to helicopter approach/weather minimums and passed with ease.

I thought written were shut down at present?
According to the CATS website:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Valued PSI Customer, we have been authorized to resume FAA Airman Knowledge Testing. However, please be advised that processing of results will be delayed until the FAA resumes normal operations.

Somebody had posted in a Facebook group I'm part of that he took his commercial written, passed and got a printed result as usual. He said the only concern is whether or not it will auto populate into IACRA during the shutdown.

The difference in instructors is huge. I didn't realize how important the CFI role was until I met my current instructor. My current instructor is so very cooperative, mature and thoughtful. Not once have I caught him bluffing on any topics. It has really opened my eyes how instructors sets examples/habits in motion in the students future avaition ambitions.

The IGI/AGI certificates aren't making the difference between your two instructors, it's their teaching styles/approaches that you're comparing. As you begin your journey towards becoming an instructor, keep track of what you think are good and bad traits of your instructors and emulate the best parts of every instructor. Sometimes as CFIs we forget what it's like to be a student, so take advantage of your current situation to recognize those traits and outline the kind of instructor you want to become.

Back