CFI Renewal - Gleim

germb747

I just finished the Gleim Internet CFI renewal course and just wanted to provide my personal feedback since I selected Gleim based in-part on recommendations from JC.

The 16-lesson course is text-based (except for a pretest and quiz for each lesson; there's no final exam). For each lesson, you have to read a 16-27 page 'knowledge transfer outline'. While the content was pretty good and I learned alot about new trends in GA, I found that all that reading was a little painful. I guess the advantage of that, however, is that I was able to study some of the lessons on my iPhone on the go. The lesson on security was more of an interactive audiovisual presentation which I felt could be used as a guide to improve the rest of the course.

The graded quizzes are a joke, so if you're just looking to 'check a box' then you could get away with just searching through the .pdf files for the right answers (for the very few questions that you don't already know the answers to) while not really studying the material. But, I actually wanted to get something out of the course, so I took the time to study everything. There are better ways to keep my interest than giving me hundreds of pages of text to read. Next time I'll probably look for a video-based course or attend the in-person class.

Just my opinion. Take with a grain of salt.

"Wordiness" is the reason I don't recommend or use Gleim anymore. I've used the AOPA/Jeppesen CFI Refresher and it's actually fairly good. It's pretty interactive with lots of visuals and also about 15/16 lessons. Print the paperwork and send it to Colorado and you're good to go! Thanks for the Gleim review.

Back