CFI or Commercial Multi

youngflyer

Not sure whether or not I should pursue getting the CFI or commercial multi add-on. I can only afford one right now. It seems like the CFI will have more use while I am in school finishing up my computer science degree, but most people seem to get the multi before CFI. Any input?

CFI no brainer. While being a multi pilot is cool and all, no one is going to hire you to fly a twin.

Get your CFI, collect your first aviation paycheck, become a better pilot, and start building flight time. The multi-com will be easier and cheaper down the road when you are a better pilot. You could also do your MEI and muti-com back to back.

I doubt anyone here is going to say anything but CFI. It is easily the smartest move.

I'm surprised that you hear many people getting their multi before CFI. I see that happening at some of the bigger schools (ATP, etc.). But I always assumed that otherwise, the progression was:

1. PPL
  2. IR
  3. CPL
  4. CFI
  5. CFII
  6. ME
  7. ... (gets murky after this...)
Is that not a correct assumption? Help a brother out... what is the ideal path through the ratings/endorsements one should be making to most efficiently get to the point they can be a marketable professional pilot (assuming some kind of work starts lining up after the CPL)?

I doubt anyone here is going to say anything but CFI. It is easily the smartest move.

I'm surprised that you hear many people getting their multi before CFI. I see that happening at some of the bigger schools (ATP, etc.). But I always assumed that otherwise, the progression was:

1. PPL
  2. IR
  3. CPL
  4. CFI
  5. CFII
  6. ME
  7. ... (gets murky after this...)
Is that not a correct assumption? Help a brother out... what is the ideal path through the ratings/endorsements one should be making to most efficiently get to the point they can be a marketable professional pilot (assuming some kind of work starts lining up after the CPL)?

7. Food Stamps

CFI hands down so you can start getting paid to fly. You don't need a multi right now.

I got my CFI first, and got my multi about 8 months later, only because someone offered to give me time in a Baron.

The best thing about the multi add on is that it's quick and easy. If someone offers you a job in a multi, you can literally get it in a weekend.

PPL
IR
PVT ME
COMM ME
COMM SE-ADD-ON
CFI
MEI

that was my progression.. Still waiting to get my II.

With the new 1500 hr law and the price of gas I think airlines will have to settle with less ME time next yr. Get your CFI first then save for the ME. Good Luck!

Broken record here, but as someone who put a multi on their credit cards and is still waiting to pay it off so I can do the CFI.... get the CFI. ;) Unless you have a guaranteed multi job waiting for you out of some miracle of the universe.

PPL
IR
Comm Glider <-- log time
Tailwheel <-- tow, log more hours
CFI Glider <--- make a few bucks, enough to cover a good bit of:
C-ASEL/CFI-A

I may get a multi, mostly because I may buy one.

Back