CFI job in Dallas area

Well wow! Maybe I'm out of the loop! :eek: It may be like when I was first trying to get hired as an instructor.

Keep working at it and you'll find something.

All the flight schools I can think of.

http://www.ntxfc.com/ ....scary :(, based in TKI

Heard mixed reviews, but KillBilly knows his stuff and says it's not too bad. I have contact info out there (as does Bill) if you want to give it a shot.

www.skymates.com, get your MEI if you go here.

As Mojo said...not hiring

www.marcairaviation.com, based at 52F, flower mound

Not hiring. I love that place, though.

http://www.atpflightschool.com/, again get your MEI

Not interested in dudes that have not paid them 100k for pilot training.

http://www.deltaconnectionacademy.com/home.aspx, arlington

Not hiring

http://www.pro-aircraft.com/, Ft. Worth

What? There's a school out there I haven't tried?

http://www.americanflyers.net/, has a few local locations.

Weren't hiring maybe 6 weeks ago...could be worth checking again

www.monarchair.com, not hiring at the moment though

Yup

Good luck to you. Let me know if you need anything else.

I know a guy who has been doing exactly that in the DFW area for a couple months. Been working the phones hard, too, and he has been completely unable to find anything.

Thanks for mentioning me, Bill!

What if an instructor said he could provide his own students?

Any sensible flight school would allow that, and this is exactly what I heard from several of the aforementioned schools. I thought I would have moved on by now and would be elsewhere doing something totally different, so I didn't really make an effort to recruit students in the area. I'm sure it's doable - I'd hit the high dollar colleges first - But I also know a heck of a lot of people selling airplanes and getting out of GA right now...

Dutch Wings in Houston is hiring. I've decided it's not even worth sending any school a resume unless you walk it in and talk to whoever is in charge...and then bother him again about it later..and again after that. I e-mailed my resume there a few times and then got an e-mail that said, "Yes, we're hiring! Send us your resume!"

Hey guys, I am currently seeking a CFI job somewhere near Dallas, Texas. I have already applied to U.S. Flight Academy in Denton, and American Flyers in Addison. Not really looking to move south of the Dallas area but will if I have to . If anyone is currently knows of any openings, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!!!!!!!!

YP

There are a few flying clubs out of Addison and McKinney. Become an Indy. Best money you'll ever make.

Thanks for mentioning me, Bill!

Well, no one knew I was talking about you until you said something. :)

I make it a point not to spoil other people's news/issues. Y'know. Like FrogFlyer does. :D

Did you ever call back that FBO in Austin we discussed? The one that you could bring at least one student to? Hey, it's only money...

How do you go about becoming an independent? I mean, I would think it would be tough starting up.

Independent CFIs are like any other services contractor. They charge an agreed-upon rate for their services, they market their services and find customers like any other business. I imagine it's a little hard to get started, but perseverance tends to pay off, and they start getting referral business. For example, they do a BFR for an aircraft owner, who then refers a friend for another, and maybe an additional rating, etc....

This is exactly what I'd like to do if I earn my CFI tickets someday. Keep a regular day job, instruct on the side when I want, for whom I want, for what I want to charge within the constraints of what the market will bear. It's a slower way to build time, but doing it on my own terms is something attractive to me.

The thing with a lot of flying clubs is that they want members to use "their" CFIs, so sometimes you have to join the club to be one of their instructors. Also, a lot of clubs fix their rates in place, so the CFI doesn't necessarily get to set his own rate. When I was with NTXFC, the instruction rate was 23 per hour, and the CFI kept 21 of that. However, NTXFC was set up as a non-profit, so I guess that makes sense for them.

I guess more than anything that question was targeted towards how you would go about getting business. Aside from word of mouth, I would think it'd be hard attracting business.

Nothing yet, but not giving up. Have applied to almost everywhere I've been advised. Will let you guys know as soon as I hear something from somewhere. Once again, thanks for all the help. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

YP

Just FYI..Monarch is not hiring. I was in there last week when they had that on the web site. The Chief Pilot wouldn't even talk to me..

Monarch is DEFINATELY not hiring. I work at Monarch in TKI and couldn't be more bored. That has been up on their website since as long as I can remember (way before I got hired back in May). ADS isn't any better, flying-wise. No new international students until at least the middle of January, maybe early February.

I dropped off a resume at Pro about a month ago and have not heard anything. 700TT, CFI, CFII, ~400 given.

This area sucks.

I dropped off a resume at Pro about a month ago and have not heard anything. 700TT, CFI, CFII, ~400 given.

This area sucks.

The market just sucks right now, sorry. I wish we were hiring, that would mean we are making more money. I just hope everyone that has a job can hang on to it.

EnnTea thanks for that one. Went ahead and sent them an e-mail with my resume attached. It will be a huge change having to move all the way from Oklahoma down to Houston, but that's part of being a pilot as I'm sure you all can agree. Wherever a door opens I'll take it, and let God take care of the rest, whether that means remaining in the U.S. or returning home to the Caribbean.

YP

I think it's pretty clear that the Feds need to fund a bailout package for low time, unemployed pilots.

Ahem - since you have gotten your USAFR dream shot you are no longer allowed to bitch.

:D

Touche Bill - Except I'm no longer bitching - I'm lobbying for my fellow aviator. Also...I'll be lucky to be in OTS in 5 months, so I need work in the mean time. If I don't make the March AFRC Board I will finally stop screwing around and move back to Austin for a while.

Touche Bill - Except I'm no longer bitching - I'm lobbying for my fellow aviator. Also...I'll be lucky to be in OTS in 5 months, so I need work in the mean time. If I don't make the March AFRC Board I will finally stop screwing around and move back to Austin for a while.

How's that going to work, anyway? Normally I'd PM this but I'm sure other people would like to know.

You're going to be a Reservist, which means after you complete pilot training and get assigned to your squadron you're going to need a regular job, right? Will you live and work in UT and pick up a regular 9-to-5, or will you CFI, or look for an airline gig or what? What's the time commitment like after you complete training?

Back