CFI demand in Oklahoma

troopernflight

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Oklahoma. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has an impressive aviation team, so I am looking at getting on with their agency. Anyone know what the demand is like in Oklahoma for CFI's near Oklahoma City? I would like to do some instructing on the side, but I wasn't sure what the market was like over there.

You could check with Riverside Flight Center at KRVS. They are a high volume Indian student operation. High turnover there. You could also try Spartan. You'll find the most jobs in either Tulsa or OKC. PM me if you'd like some more details or opinions.

And secondly, the OHP lost an amazing member in September in a C310 crash. RIP Larry. But yes, from what I hear the OHP flight dept. is a great place to work.

I used to fly with an OHP trooper that was in the aviation unit. At that time, (this was 2 years ago) one had to serve in the OHP for 7 years before being eligible for a special assignment such as aviation. Even then, there might be a waiting list to get in.

If you go to Riverside you're going to love it there. Spent 6 month there and got out faster than I arrived. The students are great they still call me once in awhile and if you go to one of there parties, you be surprised what kind of drinking games they have.

I used to fly with an OHP trooper that was in the aviation unit. At that time, (this was 2 years ago) one had to serve in the OHP for 7 years before being eligible for a special assignment such as aviation. Even then, there might be a waiting list to get in.
I was afraid of that. I need to call and speak to the recruiter about it. All it says on the website is that you have to become a trooper with their agency and then can apply to special troops. I don't know if they will take into account that I've been a trooper for 6 years with my current agency. We'll see...

I have friends that work at both RFC and Spartan. Spartans pay is now higher to compete with RFC for instructors. With Spartan, you will be doing more actual flying as compared to a lot of simulator time building at RFC. People that work at both places seem equally happy. Good luck if you decide to go that route!

P.S.-I don't think you would have any problem at all getting on with OHP. I knew an OHP gentleman and he said they were short on troopers. Also, before I moved to KC, I saw a lot of recruiter commercials on TV for OHP.

i plan on picking up my training again in about a year or so, when are you going to be moving out here? i live in okc btw

i plan on picking up my training again in about a year or so, when are you going to be moving out here? i live in okc btw
If I get accepted, the class date starts 2/01/10. Of course, I'll be trapped for 17 weeks in the academy before normal life resumes. I've been through this before and I'm not looking forward to it. But I'm exited about moving to Oklahoma. We love the area and the people.

I have friends that work at both RFC and Spartan. Spartans pay is now higher to compete with RFC for instructors. With Spartan, you will be doing more actual flying as compared to a lot of simulator time building at RFC.

I'm not sure about Spartan. (heard from everyone there that their a ripoff) but I averaged over 100 hours a month at RFC, with one month reaching 160 hours of Airplane time. I enjoyed it there and students from India still call me or e-mail me frequently.

That is good news. Is that because you have prior experience, or is that the general requirement?
It's a general requirement. I don't get the impression that I'm going to receive any special treatment due to prior experience. But like you said, there may be a waiting list.

If I get accepted, the class date starts 2/01/10. Of course, I'll be trapped for 17 weeks in the academy before normal life resumes. I've been through this before and I'm not looking forward to it. But I'm exited about moving to Oklahoma. We love the area and the people.
ill be here,thats about the time ill be ready to start flying again

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Dan you must come to Florida and be the man in the black and tan.

Please. I'll give you a dollar.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Dan you must come to Florida and be the man in the black and tan.

Please. I'll give you a dollar.
HA! You know if the benefits were as good, I would be there. Have you looked at the benies for OK? It's freaking unbelievable. 20 year retirement...non-contrib, free medical, shift differential pay, longevity pay, it goes on and on. Oh, and the most important, an aviation team. Why don't you apply as well? It would be good to have someone else to suffer with through the academy. :D

Back