CFI Checkride-OKC

youngpilot85

Hey guys. I am getting ready to take my CFI checkride with the OKC FSDO, specifically with Chris Morris to be exact. If anyone has had this guy for a checkride before, any words of advice would greatly be appreciated as to the types of questions he is likely to ask. Thanks!!!

YP

Not quite to the checkride point myself yet, just wanted to say good luck! I'm in flight training down at OUN, should be taking my private checkride in a month or so.

Good luck to you too brother. My best advice to you would be to use that Private Pilot PTS. It works. If you have any specific questions you would like to ask, feel free to send me a private message.

YP

Hey guys. I am getting ready to take my CFI checkride with the OKC FSDO, specifically with Chris Morris to be exact. If anyone has had this guy for a checkride before, any words of advice would greatly be appreciated as to the types of questions he is likely to ask. Thanks!!!

YP

Chris is an OSU alum and came to talk to the CFI class while I was there to give us some pointers on the checkride... dont really recall much but he's a nice guy and said he likes to use scenario's a lot as opposed to just asking you to pull rote memory (FOI term...! I finally used that worthless information!) items out of your head.

Good luck!

Really appreciate that little bit of info FlyingPoke. That's a style I'd be a lot more comfortable with, for I believe that it truely tests your appilibity to 'apply' (another level of learning huh:)) what you've learned, as opposed to simply spitting answers out verbatim. I had one of my buddies get busted down in Dallas because he couldn't list everything in the FOI book word for word, eventhough he told the examiner he could explain the theory if asked. Each examiner's different I guess. Thanks again!

Keep the replies coming!

God bless...

YP

Not quite to the checkride point myself yet, just wanted to say good luck! I'm in flight training down at OUN, should be taking my private checkride in a month or so.
im doing my training out of OUN as well, hoping to take my checkride by the end of the month

Just to give you guys an update, my CFI checkride was probably the smoothest I've been through thus far. Oh believe me, I was surprised to! Chris Morris, my examiner, was extremely laid back and jovial throughout the entire ride. I mean we actually had fun all the way through. The oral lasted about 3 hours, and the flight, an hour and a half. I will certainly give more details when I have more time some time next week. But to all those who are getting ready to take whatever checkride it is, study those oral exam guides. They work!!! Well guess this is it for now.

Cheers!!!

YP

thats good to hear. sounds like you're one of the lucky ones taking a CFI flight with a semi decent examiner.

Awesome!! Good to hear you passed with Chris! I bet that was a good flight back to Durant!:nana2: Wish he was a little nicer to me on my initial......:panic::rolleyes:

:( Hey...has anybody heard that the OKC FSDO has stopped using DPE's for initials. I hear that the inspectors are back doing them almost daily. I have tried for a couple of days to work them into letting me go with somebody other than an inspector. Any suggestions on how to get around this fix?

:( Hey...has anybody heard that the OKC FSDO has stopped using DPE's for initials. I hear that the inspectors are back doing them almost daily. I have tried for a couple of days to work them into letting me go with somebody other than an inspector. Any suggestions on how to get around this fix?

If you have the time and are not in a hurry, call and schedule. Then, on the day of the ride, be sick, get in a car wreck, have your mother right you an excuse, etc. They will try to reschedule, but most of the time the next slot will be so far out that you can argue currency issues and probably get scheduled with a DPE.

IMHO, go with the FSDO. The inspectors are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be and it's a good experience.

I certainly agree with Stomp16. If you have studied extremely hard for your checkride, and feel 100% prepared, you should have no reason to fear the inspector. It's just another ride...

OT - Is Will Degraw still down there at OUN? He did my CFI checkride 4(3?) years ago and my CMEL. If he's still around and you can swing it, try to get him to do a checkride for you.

I learned more from him in the 3-5 hours we spent together than I did in the 300 hours up to that point.

He's tough. Fair, but tough.

-mini

Back