Catch Me If You Can

flyguy

For those of you who have seen the movie, has anyone noticed that toward the end of the movie after Frank was caught, they are comming back from France, and as they are flying over New York, Frank looks out the window and says "Hey there's LaGuardia down there. Runway 44" Is it just me or is there something wrong with that statement? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well, according to AOPA's Airport Directory online, LGA has no Rwy 44.

In another sort of "Catch Me If You Can," just watched a movie with the wife on Lifetime called "Frequent Flier" -- supposed to be based on a true story where an airline pilot had three wives at the same time!

Yeah, I've noticed that too, and if you can find anywhere w/ a runway 44, I will give you a dollar! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oddly enough, the Inbound Course for ILS RWY 4 at KLGA is 44 degrees. The technical advisor must've called in sick that day.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've noticed that too, and if you can find anywhere w/ a runway 44, I will give you a dollar

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh!

Runway Numbering
Runway numbers and letters are determined based on the approach direction to the runway. The number is the whole number nearest one-tenth the magnetic azimuth of the runway centerline. For example, a runway with a magnetic heading from 035° through 044° is numbered 04. The third digit of the magnetic heading is dropped. The range of numbers is from runway 01 through 36.

[ QUOTE ]
Runway Numbering
Runway numbers and letters are determined based on the approach direction to the runway. The number is the whole number nearest one-tenth the magnetic azimuth of the runway centerline. For example, a runway with a magnetic heading from 035° through 044° is numbered 04. The third digit of the magnetic heading is dropped. The range of numbers is from runway 01 through 36.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmm Hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Smilecrunch.gif

Just noticed another inconsistancy,

As Frank is getting his uniform for the first time, he is given an FE's uniform, but by the time he leaves the store, he's magically got a FOs uniform, and at the end of the movie when he tries to "escape" from his job at the FBI, I guess he must have promoted himself to captain. Yup, techinical advisor was out to lunch.

[ QUOTE ]

In another sort of "Catch Me If You Can," just watched a movie with the wife on Lifetime called "Frequent Flier" -- supposed to be based on a true story where an airline pilot had three wives at the same time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack! NEVER EVER EVER show your wife that movie!

Lifetime Network is an airline pilot's worst nightmare.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack! NEVER EVER EVER show your wife that movie!

Lifetime Network is an airline pilot's worst nightmare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that movie was just on...ended a few minutes ago.

I'm pretty sure the runway 44 statement was put in there on purpose. A naive remark like that would kind of accentuate the fact that he wasn't a pilot.

www.imdb.com has a great listing of all movies and usally some "goofs" from them heres a couple from "Catch Me If You Can 2002":

Anachronisms: When Hanratty and Abagnale are aboard a plane at LaGuardia Airport in 1969, a shot of the New York City skyline shows the World Trade Center towers fully built. However, the towers were not completed until 1973.

Anachronisms: In a scene when Frank is walking down a sidewalk in NYC, a delivery van is visible in the background with the "FedEx" logo on it, which was not used in 1963.

Anachronisms: National Airlines logo at Miami International Airport is incorrect, it should have been the "SunKing" logo introduced in the mid-1960s.

Anachronisms: The interior design of the aircraft bringing Frank and Carl back to NYC from France has the large windows, sculpted ceiling and gentle curves used in wide body aircraft. This "Psychology of Comfort" design was first implemented with the Boeing 747 which was not in commercial service at the time of their trip home to New York.

Continuity: Frank is measured for the PanAm Airlines jacket and is shown being fitted in a jacket with the two stripes of a flight engineer. Moments later he is seen on the street wearing the 3-stripe sleeves of a co-pilot.

Factual errors: Abagnale escapes from the plane by sneaking out through the bathroom into the luggage bin and out through the landing gear cavities. There is no way to get from the bathroom into the landing gear.

--Factual errors: Abagnale escapes from the plane by sneaking out through the bathroom into the luggage bin and out through the landing gear cavities. There is no way to get from the bathroom into the landing gear. --

That's interesting, the story is based on a real person, and follows what he actually did, but I wonder if the above sequence was just a little dramatic addition. Perhaps the actual guy never escaped that one last time.

Read the book. There are many things they didn't cover that are absolutely incredible. He graphically describes his stay in the European prisons. He was narrowly saved from almost certain death by the US because another country wanted to extradite him (I can't remember if it was Italy or the Netherlands) and he would never have survived 20 years in their prisons.

It is a good read!

Grayson

[ QUOTE ]
That's interesting, the story is based on a real person, and follows what he actually did

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, it says the movie was "Inspired by a true story"... Which means Hollywood used some basic fact as a rough guideline and took the ball and ran with it...

I also watched the movie Frequent Flyer. It's a pretty good movie. I don't know much at all about the real life version except that it was a cargo pilot and that all three of his now ex-wives ended up suing each other for his money.

Josh

[ QUOTE ]
I also watched the movie Frequent Flyer. It's a pretty good movie. I don't know much at all about the real life version except that it was a cargo pilot and that all three of his now ex-wives ended up suing each other for his money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww, that's a horrible movie. Nobody should be allowed to see that....

Back