Career Trajectories Beyond the SOC/OCC/NOC

Karee

Marginal Member
I haven’t envisioned my aviation career taking me beyond dispatching at a specific major, and now I wonder if I lack ambition.

I’m curious about the dispatchers who have moved on to jobs outside the SOC (but stay with the airline so FAA jobs don’t count). I have heard of many who end up flying and know one who is now a maintenance controller, but are there former dispatchers occupying the C-suite, for example? How did they get there? Do most dispatchers you know want to stay on the desk into retirement or do they want to do something else within the company?

Let’s get personal. Have you considered what you want the tail end of your career to look like?

Well I for one, plan to spend my days sitting for 10hrs 4 days a week. I fully understand your ambition to seek other paths once inside the carriers four walls. From what I have garnered over the few yrs I've been at this, is that Dxing pays as much or close to what a pilot earns. So there is that....
But there are many other jobs within the airlines that would be very interesting as well. I could see if you had a degree in marketing or an MBA, you might want to look around. But like I said, most of us are just chasing the Benjamins! Good luck to you.

I second Troy McClure’s sentiment. There is plenty that you can expand to while a dispatcher (SUP, ATC desk, OJTI, etc). Personally I firmly believe dispatching is one of the if not the best job at an airline. Great pay, great benefits, going home each night to your family (if living at base), and still being very hands on in on the aviation side of things if you’re an avgeek. All while noticeably making a difference therefore feeling all sorts of pride and a sense of accomplishment doing your job.

There definitely are other positions a seasoned dispatcher can find himself in like a managerial role or dispatch support roles, if that’s your thing.

With that said, I personally see myself retiring at my current airline as a dispatcher (MAYBE a supervisor if that path opens up).

I've seen senior level departmental management at my (major) airline change too many times in the last 10 years to ever want to go that route myself (some of them did retire, but some just left the company.) As others here have said, and I agree with, dispatching is one of the best jobs at the airline in terms of pay, benefits, and time off. I might someday look at being an operations manager or network director, but I'd never want to leave the NOC. And if I end up spending the rest of my career as an international dispatcher, I'm perfectly happy to do that also. I do know a couple of people that have left the department (one to become a pilot here, one who went into some non-NOC management job) and I wish them the best, but I'm staying where I'm at.

I think once you move on from the regionals to a major or even ULCC where the paycheck matches the name on the side of the airplane people generally will stay in the SOC for the remainder of their career. Seniority plays a huge role in QOL and operation critical positions are generally the last ones to get the axe during downsizing (2020 the exception,not the rule) whereas management folks come and go. This doesn’t just go for dispatchers either,at a lot of majors you will find schedulers and mx control folks who will retire in their current roles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who wants to take a potential pay cut(when you factor in over time), have to be on call most of the time, not have the security of a union, and be subject to extreme micromanaging? I’ll pass. Dispatch is quite fine for me. No shame towards anyone who goes towards a management role. Different strokes for different folks. That’s just my opinion on it.

Who wants to take a potential pay cut(when you factor in over time), have to be on call most of the time, not have the security of a union, and be subject to extreme micromanaging? I’ll pass. Dispatch is quite fine for me. No shame towards anyone who goes towards a management role. Different strokes for different folks. That’s just my opinion on it.

Part of what I love about dx is the autonomy, and there are very few jobs I can think of that would allow a similar level of independent decision-making with relatively rapid gratification. Also, you don’t take it home with you.

Last edited:

This.

Going home and not having to take your work with you is a blessing. My wife has a senior leadership role in the corporate world and is working even when she's not. No thanks!

I don't think dispatch is the fast path to the c-suite by any means, but there's still good career potential. At my airline being a dispatcher is a pre-requisite (both officially and unofficially depending on the position) for a number of leadership roles.

I would certainly think twice before taking a position outside of the union, but I won't say I'd never consider it if the conditions are right. Most people I know are happy either being a line dispatcher or working in one of the "specialty" positions within the CBA. For me I think there's plenty of room to grow within the NOC that I wouldn't gain anything by leaving any time soon.

What a fantastic question! The answer however, I believe lies with each individual and their individual aspirations.

I've been in the industry for 20 years now and did make that transition you inquired about, at the regional level. I was the Director of SOC of a regional airline in the US. I did not dispatch at my carrier, however I did advance from Duty Manager to Manager of SOC, to Director of SOC. Like many on here, the daily shift work was the funnest and to be honest, the best work i've ever done. I also loved my team that I worked with during my shift. Having a solid team makes a days work easy and enjoyable.

I enjoyed my time advancing my career and moving into roles of great responsibility, especially since I love aviation and the airline business. However, if you're looking to move into airline management, especially if it's in the operations side, expect to be available 24/7. Also, the higher you go, the lonelier it gets. I will note though, I do believe individuals with airline dispatch/operations experience are valuable and sought after at the higher levels of management, at both regional and mainline carriers. Airlines are inherently complex businesses and most higher management candidates don't understand the reality of how they operate, I mean the actual nuts and bolts of the business.

I've moved on now to start my own aviation business, however, i'm thankful for all that I did learn as I advanced and for the many mentors along the way that provided me guidance and leadership along the way.

Wishing you the best during your career journey!

NAFC

I haven’t envisioned my aviation career taking me beyond dispatching at a specific major, and now I wonder if I lack ambition.

I’m curious about the dispatchers who have moved on to jobs outside the SOC (but stay with the airline so FAA jobs don’t count). I have heard of many who end up flying and know one who is now a maintenance controller, but are there former dispatchers occupying the C-suite, for example? How did they get there? Do most dispatchers you know want to stay on the desk into retirement or do they want to do something else within the company?

Let’s get personal. Have you considered what you want the tail end of your career to look like?
I worked the desk for almost 3 years, and by then I was ready for a change. I went into training, which took me out of the day-to-day SOC, but I still made it a point to work the desk at least once every couple of weeks. After almost 3 years of that, I moved back to the SOC as a Dispatch supervisor. Did that for about a year, then moved on to other things.

I've known a couple of Dispatchers that have moved on to the pilot training department as instructors. One eventually became the manager of that department.

I have a "different" position in our OCC supporting our software. I'm still a qualified dispatcher and I can work a desk, I go to recurrent, jumpseat, etc, but I don't dispatch often. It use to be a once a week thing for me, but since COVID started desk time has been few and far between.

I've had a manager in IT reach out to me and express interest in my other skill sets, my knowledge of the OCC is valuable to them since they work closely with the OCC. It didn't work out at the time, but that might be an avenue I could pursue if I wanted to put the work in. I know I have opportunity in IT outside of the company, but for now I am happy where I am. I like the company I work for, I like management, I like the work I do, I like being in the OCC without the grind of working a desk. Dispatching is an awesome career and I had a lot of fun doing it regularly before I made the move into my current role, but as my family/home life changes and my desire for other challenges grows, I've sort of drifted away from it. I'm not sure what the tail end of my career will look like, but I think at this point it probably doesn't include working a desk. My dream of making it to WN is basically dead so I'll either move up or out.

With the schedule flexibility, the pay and the fact everyday you start with a clean slate (no deadlines, no projects, no carry over from the previous day) I just don't know how you could beat that? I'll never say never but at the moment I am perfectly content to sit at a desk my whole career. I take off 2 months or so every summer and collect paychecks the whole time I am out. I also take other extended trips throughout the year that I just couldn't do if I moved into any other role. I really have no boss, I make my own decisions and you just can't find that kind of autonomy in many other careers while also being protected by a Union. I cant see myself wanting to move away from any of that. If anything maybe near the end I would want to go work for the FAA to get some solid federal benefits, but I doubt it.

I could see how as a generally driven group of people, who work their tails off to learn how to properly dispatch, who claw their way to coveted majors, it’s tough to turn off and easy to set question ambition.
In this day and age, when inflation is being driven by lack of workforce I think it’s important to look at the whole picture.
I too think I’ll struggle with this more as I go along. I always thought I’d want management but it’s not for me at my airline. They’ve cut their benefits and limited pay increases etc., you know when senior managers are retiring left and right and not one person from Dispatch applies, why would I ever consider it?
I will be looking to expand my career outside of work though. I will be able to manage time for a side gig how I see fit though rather than being controlled by the company. Maybe you can find a side gig that would fit around your work schedule?

Back