Career crossroads- Looking for your advice

RA390

Hey Guys,

So I know there are a couple of these threads out there, although I don't spend much time outside the 'pictures from the road' section, I have done some searches. Hopefully one day someone in a similar position can stumble upon this thread and get some prospective.

Here's the rundown:

I'm a relatively young guy with no tie downs. Just left my 135 job flying a jet. I currently have 2,000tt, 350hr jet/150hrs jet pic. I have an interview scheduled with a regional next month. Although living on first yr FO pay commuting on reserve would be rough, It could be financially do-able for me living rent free in CA. I have some people telling me to jump on this train and get my 'number'.

On the other hand, I have an opportunity to fly a PC12 part 91 for a generous salary. I would be based where I live and the airplane would be parked 20 min from my house. The guy managing the airplane is very reasonable and simply a good guy to work for all around. Stability and long term career investments are my only concern with this gig. The flying seems like it would be fun, and I could make extra money on days off instructing.

What would you do? Unfortunately being isolated in the 135 world, I don't have too many regional fo buddies to pick their brains. The only thing I have to go off of are other forums on the interwebs... and all I can dig up from there is guys arguing about what regional is getting 60 orders of this or that plane next month. Thanks!

I would take the PC-12 job and try an experiment.

Build yourself a budget and try to live off the salary of a regional FO. Take the rest of your salary and invest it in various retirement options so that you can get a feel for the lifestyle while preparing for the future.

Try that for a year and then decide if you want to go the airline route.

I would take the PC-12 job and try an experiment.

Build yourself a budget and try to live off the salary of a regional FO. Take the rest of your salary and invest it in various retirement options so that you can get a feel for the lifestyle while preparing for the future.

Try that for a year and then decide if you want to go the airline route.

I would do this. The airlines are always going to be there.

Of course, I'm not you. But that's how I'd be thinking of it.

+1

You might meet a girl...settle down a bit, and next thing you know you "can't afford" to be a regional al FO.

The common line I hear from the 7 year FO's at XJT is that they "can't afford" to take the pay cut to get to a regional where they'll have some upward mobility.

If you can't go back to first year pay at a regional, you also can't afford first year pay at Airways, Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit and Sun Country. What are guys going to do? ONLY go to Delta or United?

The common line I hear from the 7 year FO's at XJT is that they "can't afford" to take the pay cut to get to a regional where they'll have some upward mobility.

If you can't go back to first year pay at a regional, you also can't afford first year pay at Airways, Frontier, Allegiant, Spirit and Sun Country. What are guys going to do? ONLY go to Delta or United?

For many, yep... They hope.

If you want to fly for a major, you'll need part 121 time. Get first year pay out of the way while you're young.
I'm in the "can't afford to be a regional FO" boat. Hell, I took an almost 6 figure paycut to get back into manned flying. I wouldn't even consider the airlines at this point in my life unless that corrupt system of first year pay went away.

OP, if a major is your game they're right. Get your number and "pay your dues".

Or make some money now, save up, then go get your number at the regionals. First year doesn't sound so bad if you already have money in the bank.

An excellent idea...

Except that upgrade is based on seniority, and while the internet claims that FO's are being hired left and right, PIC time helps.
I get what you're saying, but won't he be getting PIC time flying the Pilatapus? Maybe not 121 PIC, but still.

An excellent idea...

Except that upgrade is based on seniority, and while the internet claims that FO's are being hired left and right, PIC time helps.
Things are rowdy. They're going to get even rowdier, although there will never be a shortage.

Hey Guys,

So I know there are a couple of these threads out there, although I don't spend much time outside the 'pictures from the road' section, I have done some searches. Hopefully one day someone in a similar position can stumble upon this thread and get some prospective.

Here's the rundown:

I'm a relatively young guy with no tie downs. Just left my 135 job flying a jet. I currently have 2,000tt, 350hr jet/150hrs jet pic. I have an interview scheduled with a regional next month. Although living on first yr FO pay commuting on reserve would be rough, It could be financially do-able for me living rent free in CA. I have some people telling me to jump on this train and get my 'number'.

On the other hand, I have an opportunity to fly a PC12 part 91 for a generous salary. I would be based where I live and the airplane would be parked 20 min from my house. The guy managing the airplane is very reasonable and simply a good guy to work for all around. Stability and long term career investments are my only concern with this gig. The flying seems like it would be fun, and I could make extra money on days off instructing.

What would you do? Unfortunately being isolated in the 135 world, I don't have too many regional fo buddies to pick their brains. The only thing I have to go off of are other forums on the interwebs... and all I can dig up from there is guys arguing about what regional is getting 60 orders of this or that plane next month. Thanks!

As others have said, the direction you go in depends on the destination. If it were me, I'd take the PC-12 job. Better pay and close to home. The airlines will still be there a few years from now. In the meantime, you can save some money, which opens more opportunities later on.

I think I'd take the pc12 job. The airlines will still be around in a few years. Put some money in the bank to offset first year pay at a regional.

On the other hand, IF you get on at compass you'll probably upgrade within a couple years and be making a liveable wage.

So it depends on your career goals,I suppose. But I think if you polled most people at my airline they'd advise you to stay away and enjoy flying the pc12.

Back