Career Consultation w/ an ATC

Aviacentre

Hi there,

I'm a junior in high school, and our most recent assignment in careers class asks us to talk with someone (via e-mail or internet) who works in a career that we're interested in. If there are any air traffic controllers that would be willing to answer some simple questions surrounding your job, I would greatly appreciate it if you would be willing to answer the consultation questions below.

Only brief answers would be necessary and it should take only 10-15 minutes.

Current Date & Time:

What are several of your normal job duties:

What values are important for this career:

Do you work mostly with data, people or things? Please Explain.

Do you usually work indoors or outdoors?

Do you usually work sitting at a desk, standing, or on the move?

How much noise is there in the work area?

Is your work dangerous in any way?

If you work is dangerous, in what ways is it dangerous?

What are your normal working hours?

How often do you work overtime?

Do you ever work nights or weekends?

What aptitudes are needed for your career?

What are the education and training requirements to enter and advance in your career area?

What is the average beginning salary for someone in your career area?

How much does the average person earn after five years?

How much do the most successful people earn after ten years?

What types of fringe benefits do workers in your career usually receive?

How many workers are needed in your career area at the present time? Locally? Statewide? Nationwide?

Do you think the demand for workers like you will increase or decrease in the next five years?

Do you work with people in other countries? How?

Is there any additional information about your career area that you think might be interesting or helpful to someone who is interested in pursuing such a career?

THANKS!

Yes, and at www.atccti.com you will find MANY current controllers willing to answer these questions. Perhaps daveatc here will answer them, but I can promise you. . . if you ask it over at atccti.com, you'll have your answers before dinner tonight. Of course you have to register on their forum, much like you have here at JC, and then make the post.

No worries. I wish I could answer them for you, but I have a soul and I'm not willing to work for the FAA after urinating on the controller workforce. :)

Best of luck, and welcome to JC.

Back