Career Change - Dispatch

CannedYam

Hi all -
I've been considering a career change into aviation and flight dispatch seems to be a great match for what I'm looking for. This forum has been a great resource while I've been researching and I'd love any input on a few questions:

- What have your personal experiences been finding positions after schooling? How long did it take?
I'm flexible and prepared to move as necessary.

- What does career progression generally look like? I'm sure I'd be paying my dues for the first few years as I build experience.

- Distance learning... any regrets doing the partial online training? My concern is missing out on meeting some new people and also the quality of online learning.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Biggest advice I can give you is apply for everything and anything that has the word Aircraft Dispatcher. I must have applied to about 40 in a three month period until I finally got one, did the interview and was hired three days later, then the calls begin to come in from other companies. I think in total I got 4 hits out 40. The other three dispatcher that was hired for the class had the same experience they also applied to about everyone that I applied to before landing a job. Also, expect about two to three months for the processing time before you see feedback. That was about the average time it took before I hear something, although some companies were allot faster.

In a text book I have there is three classification of airlines, Regional (91 carriers), National (38 carriers), and Major (15), as of 2010. I think that ( excludes charter and business airlines). So there are few options to choose from.

best advice i could add is to pinpoint exactly where you want to head as a flight dispatcher. There are three categories of experience, airline, cargo, and corporate. They each have their own benefits and drawbacks. Its good to start out where you see yourself in the future if you are given several options after applying everywhere

My best advice is to apply to every possible dispatch job you can. Dont be too picky and be willing to relocate.

Once you get your first job, build experience and apply for better jobs. If you are at a regional airline, I highly recommend getting involved in equipment coordinating/tail routing or in load planning. If you can advance to a supervisor position that will also be a major help in advancing to a major airline. Getting into the dispatch training department also can be a major avenue for getting onto the majors.

If you have no desire for equipment coordinating or being a supervisor or training manager, gaining international experience at the supplemental carriers is an excellent way to set you apart from the field in getting interviews and offers from the majors.

If you want to work for Fedex or Southwest, both are well known for hiring internals into dispatch. Southwest has started to change this but both are well known for favoring internals over externals. Fedex in particular.

Networking is a major part of getting hired at a major. The more friends you make in high places, the better your chances are of getting hired by a major. The more internal recommendations you have, the better your chances of getting interviewed and hired. People with dispatch skills that are lacking can get big jobs over very good dispatchers through good networking.

Lastly, build a good reputation. Your reputation will follow you everywhere you go in such a small industry.

best advice i could add is to pinpoint exactly where you want to head as a flight dispatcher. There are three categories of experience, airline, cargo, and corporate. They each have their own benefits and drawbacks. Its good to start out where you see yourself in the future if you are given several options after applying everywhere

I have never worked in cargo or corporate, but from what I have heard - corporate is more involved with crew scheduling than actual dispatching. I hear the pay can be quite good but what little experience I have had in scheduling made me positive that it's something I would never want to deal with on a regular basis. Just my two cents - and I'm sure it depends on what operation you are at how "dispatch-like" the job is.

Hi all -
What have your personal experiences been finding positions after schooling? How long did it take?
I'm flexible and prepared to move as necessary.

Four months and counting for me. Got one interview out of all the places I applied (probably at least 10). Most people seem to have better luck than me.

I've started applying even for non-dispatching jobs. Still nothing yet.

Four months and counting for me. Got one interview out of all the places I applied (probably at least 10). Most people seem to have better luck than me.

I've started applying even for non-dispatching jobs. Still nothing yet.

I would still keep plugging away at it.

1 out of 10 is the same what I got and so did three other dispatchers.

FedEx is starting to move away from the "strictly internal" rule---especially for the international side of the house. If there is a domestic position, yes, that typically will go internal. Minimum 3-5 years of experience to come work here.

Back