Career Advice- Route Planning/Dispatch Other Ideas

Leadingedge04

Hello,
I currently work for a major US airline. I really enjoy what I do, but I don't think I am challenged enough. It’s a very low stress, simple, almost entry level position. I work, more or less, as an Help desk/ Support for the Operations side of things. I help callers reset their passwords, update aircraft records, and other "administrative" duties. I have the feeling we’re pretty deep into the operation. Things that come to us are very low priority. Although, it’s not the typical call center environment, it feels like a distance cousin to it. I would like a job where a headset isn’t worn for most of the shift.

I was able to pick up the job quickly in my 1 year here. I was a natural, and had a solid foundation of aviation knowledge despite being hired from the outside. Airport codes, aircraft, everything that goes along with aviation came easy for me. Strip that away, its basic a computer coding position (Sabre). I am fairly young (31), so there was no learning curve when it came to computer work. I had my yearly review, and was told by my management team I was doing an excellent job. They were very impressed with me, my work ethic, and my ability to catch on quickly (they let me know several times). After a glowing review, I requested additional work; however, there is none. I am not sure what my supervisors or department manger does, but I’d be happy to take anything off their plate. Willing to learn more about the airline, and get exposed to new things. I am looking to be more involved with daily operations in some capacity, and feel a little more, well, important. I do not like the fact that I often have to say "Oh, that's not us, you need to contact such and such department". I suppose the over-all impression is we can do a lot more than we really can. If I had a dollar for every time I heard “Oh, I thought you guys could help” or “They said you can help”, or “I was transferred to you”, I’d be in a new tax bracket! I want to be able to help! I want to be the go-to.

In previous lives I have been a Flight Attendant, worked at a local FBO, and on the ramp with a regional carrier. I have the experience, and I also have B.S. in Business Management and Technology in my back pocket. I have thought about few different paths, but I am writing today to get some feedback from those also in the industry. I have thought about going for my Dispatch License. My concern, or question, is once I do that, how long will I have to wait for an opening? From what I gather, the hiring is few and far between and employees stick that out for several years up until retirement. I have also had an interest in Network/Route planning. Admittedly, I know very little what they do. What I think they do, and what they really do, might be different. I think they create business models, Surveys, and compile data of certain routes, new airports to serve, Yield etc. They visit those airports and meet with airport management. They then plan out frequency, and aircraft type. How far off am I?

Should I seek out an MBA? I could stick around this department for a few more years while I go to school online, or during the day (currently work overnights). MBA in International Business, perhaps?

I would ideally like a job where I can come in, work on projects, have deadlines, participate in meetings, use my critical thinking skills, be more engaged in the daily operations. Again, I am very happy at this airline and fully intend to retire with them. Any suggestions?

There isn't much money in aircraft routing. Probably would be a lateral transition from where you are now. If you want to get your dispatch license, then you should. Just don't be surprised if you never get hired into a major airlines dispatch with no dispatch experience. It is true that some people do get hired but most successful internal candiates (as I understand) at the legacies have a combination external dispatch experience and interal OCC experience. Either way good luck.

I'm currently a regional airline dispatcher and there is a community of us on here.

There isn't much money in aircraft routing. Probably would be a lateral transition from where you are now. If you want to get your dispatch license, then you should. Just don't be surprised if you never get hired into a major airlines dispatch with no dispatch experience. It is true that some people do get hired but most successful internal candiates (as I understand) at the legacies have a combination external dispatch experience and interal OCC experience. Either way good luck.

I'm currently a regional airline dispatcher and there is a community of us on here.
Thank you, Luigi. Can you think of any other career paths besides dispatch or route planning? Would like to keep in an office environment at HQ.

Thank you!

Back