Career Advancement

goodflightcowboy

This is a question that I've been asking myself since the start of COVID, that I thought I would open up to the group.

For those of us that are CFIs by necessity, not by choice, what are you doing to further your career? I don't think there will be any easy jobs out there, so I'm planning on instructing for a few more years. The first things that come to mind are Gold Seal, NAFI Master Instructor, and obviously added ratings like ASES, tailwheel, etc. What are y'all doing to continue progressing during the downturn?

For those of us that are CFIs by necessity, not by choice, what are you doing to further your career? I don't think there will be any easy jobs out there, so I'm planning on instructing for a few more years.

While I'm not in the career world of aviation, what I'm doing is pretty simple. Keep flying, stay current, try not to screw up. Has worked for me so far for 20 years or so. For what it is worth, I haven't seen any slowdown in the GA/CFI flying space. Which is good (for me), as it is the type of flying I like doing.

Yeah, I think different parts of that space are being affected in various ways. I have friends at foreign mills that are being told they probably won't have jobs if the current situation remains the same, because their contracts can't be fulfilled, whether due to demand in that country or due to visa entanglements. It's just going to get pretty rough on everyone for a while, so it's always good to know what others are doing to continue learning and growing as pilots and instructors!

Invest in hardware maybe? I see talk about Master this and seaplanes that. That's all cool but think about what can you do to help the bottom of the food chain. They aren't getting their SES.

I'm getting ready to retire and I absolutely love doing IFR instruction. I happened across a Redbird TD2 with the G1000 panel and hope to put it to work someday. If I was a young CFI trying to make a living or an extra buck, I'd buy a BATD and aggressively look for IFR students. You'd have to be in a high volume GA area but move your butt there if you have to.

I figure I can make 500 a day with my little Redbird and still have time to drink beer in retirement.

This is a question that I've been asking myself since the start of COVID, that I thought I would open up to the group.

For those of us that are CFIs by necessity, not by choice, what are you doing to further your career? I don't think there will be any easy jobs out there, so I'm planning on instructing for a few more years. The first things that come to mind are Gold Seal, NAFI Master Instructor, and obviously added ratings like ASES, tailwheel, etc. What are y'all doing to continue progressing during the downturn?
Outreach. I'm sure there are lots people, kids and adults, who would like to learn about airplanes and flying and careers. Try contacting your local school district and see about setting up an aviation club. Reach out to scout troops. Volunteer to present at a Lion's Club meeting. Start a Young Eagles program.

Invest in hardware maybe? I see talk about Master this and seaplanes that. That's all cool but think about what can you do to help the bottom of the food chain. They aren't getting their SES.

I'm getting ready to retire and I absolutely love doing IFR instruction. I happened across a Redbird TD2 with the G1000 panel and hope to put it to work someday. If I was a young CFI trying to make a living or an extra buck, I'd buy a BATD and aggressively look for IFR students. You'd have to be in a high volume GA area but move your butt there if you have to.

I figure I can make 500 a day with my little Redbird and still have time to drink beer in retirement.
I'd like to know more about this idea. Is this run out of your house? A hangar? A nondescript commercial building? I think you're onto something. I'm just interested in what the business looks like.

It's not run out of anywhere yet. Back in the 90's, when I lived in Seattle, I had an ATC610 in my home and did instrument training free lance. Pretty hard to do that where I live now as it's rural. Thought I could advertise in advance and go places in an RV to offer training to individual clients. You can do 10 hours towards a part 61 IFR in a BATD.

Back