Caravan Feeder Cargo Securing

MNFlyboy

Question towards your take on "Captain will ensure properly secured cargo". That's an abbreviated version of what is in the SOP, and referencing the POH, there are several cargo restraining systems. Our aircraft have the throw over net, open weave style, not the solid webbed ones. The question at hand is, is it legal for you to "bulk out" the aircraft and not use a restraint system (i.e. strapping it down)? Common sense would suggest that the restraints are used to secure and prevent load shift in flight, take off, and landing. This I get. But if zones 1-5 are full above the 75% capacity line, to the roof, and either zone 6 is occupied or the zone 6 barrier is securely in place, does this meet the requirements? Some captains will use this logic and bulk out the cargo zones and shut the door, others will refuse the last bit of freight to use the restraints. Thoughts?

Are you willing to test the strength of the cargo barrier in a crash with no net holding everything down in the back?

it already has been, thas why its called a 9-G barrier, right? If zone 6 were unoccupied, no reason npt to use net and straps. if occupied however, eh well, i digress. CP says net 'em, I going net 'em.

When I flew the 208 I always strapped down the load even with the thing bulked out I always got as many straps tied down as I could. I dont think I ever went with less than 3 straps.

We never used straps aside from charters and the occasional really, really big UPS box, but used nets for bulk loading. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would not take the time to put up three nets during loading.
Then again, we had guys who would toss the tail stand in 4/5 when they closed up, apparently completely ignorant of it becoming a missile during a "sudden stoppage".

Always put the partitions up no matter the load, I don't want that stuff flying around in an upset. Also put the stand in the pod, thats what it is for, not for going through your head.

An inspector goes by the book. If the book (Company manual and or POH) specifies how the cargo os restrained (hint: check the supplements) that is the way you should operate. You are leaving yourself oprn to action if the helpful FAA inspector is the first one to gaze upon a fully loaded aircraft with the restraint system unemployed or not containing ALL freight. Just saying.

I've personally watched a guy get ramped in a bulked-out 210 without the net up. Pretty sure he got violated. At the very least, it was uh "mentioned to him".

We always put up the front and rear nets. Anything can happen; half the time you have no idea how the manufacturer packed the goods, they could crush easily and shift. As from a legal standpoint, yes, I believe the nets need to always be secured.

Back