Can not decide what to do.... HS Senior looking for the right decision...

Air Force One

I love flight. I can not imagine my life with out flight.

I am having trouble picking out the right school to go to.

I have been accepted to everywhere I have applied.

Embry Riddle in AZ
U of ND
Arizona State
Fresno State
San Fran State U.

And in reality, Im just considering the top 3.

I cant decide what to do. Im in North Dakota right now visiting the school and I really am not so sure I can see myself living in a town with not much to do. There really isnt anything here besides the school and a couple stores like target,bestbuy and a walmart. On paper, I was pretty sure UND was the best choice for me in a school. I loved the fact that it wasnt practically a guy school like Embry. And I loved how it had a good flight program while having a real college. Plus Hockey and etc. I havent gone on any of the tours but I go on them tommorow. I just wondered around the campus today and I liked the buildings better then Embry. Embry felt a LOT more like a community college compared to UND.

Embry is pretty much out for me. I can't live with the social life they have. Not to mention, Its obvious its not worth the cost. Im just happy I can say I got in because this school was my goal to get into for years as I raised my grade point average. But I actually liked the town of prescott better then grand forks, even not including the weather.

Arizona State. I like the surrounding town and the social life obviously would be great. I would major in business and do the flight seperately. But if I even consider this, I have to fly 3-5 days a week to get hours fast for me. But Im worried about some things. If I go to asu, will I have a structured plan to becoming a commercial pilot vs ND? Will I be pretty much on my own in making sure im on the correct path?

If I looked at the schools as to which I will have the best time I would likely say ASU then ND then Embry.

----CLIFT Note version of my post-----

Aviation related major at UND/EMBRY vs ASU and aviation seperately...

Go to ASU, get a real degree, party at Manzanita, try not to get any diseases, get a real degree, and fly out at CHD, which I think would be the closest airport to Tempe.

I am/was in your situation. High School Senior, been accepted to the list of aviation schools. Checked them all out. Ruled some out. It came down to Auburn and North Dakota for my preference. I'm pretty sure it I'll be joining Auburn University next fall. Although it is not on your list, I'd recommend a school with program like Auburn, Purdue and ASU. Where you can get a degree in something else, fly, and still have that real University feeling without feeling a bit too anti-social outside of aviation. GOOD LUCK!

Or . . . Don't choose a college based on their flight program, get a degree in something else you're interested in, and flight train at a local FBO while in school and over the summers. You'll spend less money, have less debt, and be more marketable in a diverse economy.

There are a LOT of pilots who are extremely successful without having a degree in an aviation-related field. Because our field doesn't require a specific degree, it would be a shame to pass up the opportunity to expand your horizons, diversify your mind, and avoid putting all of your eggs in one basket. The only time my college degree has ever come up in an aviation interview (beyond confirming that I have one) was when it made me a better candidate for the job because it WASN'T in aviation and allowed me to fill multiple roles at the company.

Go to a school where you are going to have the most fun with the best education. Let's take a look at this: you're probably 18 years old, so, if oyu live to retirement and fly airplanes for a living, you will spend the next 40 plus years doing the same thing over and over again. Let's face it, we all love flying here, but the truth of the matter is, your career is a JOB. Not to be a cliche, but college should be the best time of your life. Don't use college as a stepping stone to heaven (airline industry), because if you do, you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. I think in one of the perspectives,somebody said "if you can be happy being the chief pilot at the local FBO, then consider getting into the aviation industry..." or something like that. So, go to a kick ass school, have a great time, get a business degree so you can run that FBO and make a little cash in the process.

my .02

MissedApproach said:
You know the saying! 13 floors of...........
nevermind.

Actually I've never heard that, I didn't go to ASU, I just ... went... to ASU :) So you'll have to inform us all, or PM me if it's obscene....

Best Hall lived up to its name though, huge freaking rooms and soundproof walls!

Chris_Ford said:
Actually I've never heard that, I didn't go to ASU, I just ... went... to ASU :) So you'll have to inform us all, or PM me if it's obscene....

Best Hall lived up to its name though, huge freaking rooms and soundproof walls!
hint: rhymes with floors, starts with a "w." (synonymous with ASU)

I was in a similar situation four years ago. This is a long answer, but I want to be thorough and hopefully you can make the best decision for you. I wanted to fly and I wanted to get there as quick as possible because it was all I wanted to do. I decided that a college degree was necessary and I could give the industry some time to straighten itself out. So I went to college. Best decision I ever made. Now, I'm preparing to graduate. Am I still going to fly? Yes. Will it be for an airline? Maybe someday, but not now. I'm interviewing for several postions in non-aviation industries. Just remember, you can always be a pilot.

If I'm ever not happy with my decision and I feel that flying professionally would be a better career, then I will make the switch. By being young, it allows you to spend a few years to explore other things.

Remember also that priorities change. At 18-25, flying is great, fun, don't mind being on the road exploring new things, ect. What happens later? By the time you get married and have kids, flying will probably not be that top priority anymore and being on the road will be much more difficult than it was when you were younger.

It sounds like having a social life is important to you. That's good. Go to ASU. Join clubs, go greek if you want to and have fun. Just be smart, and don't get into too much trouble. And get good grades. Especially your first semester. It's hard to dig yourself out of a big hole if you bomb your first semester. The business degree would be a good decision.

The great thing about college is it allows you to explore other possibilities. Take electives outside of business, you never know what you might find. I know guys that started out as electrical engineering majors, switched to criminal justice, and are now police officers. So the point is, you never know.

Go in with an attitude of an open mind, wanting to have fun, wanting to make good grades and enjoy the best years of your life. If you do that then you can't go wrong and you will come out way ahead.

Good Luck.

I had a meeting with a person at enrollment and then went on a tour. I started off really negative having the same feelings I did last night until I went on the tour.

I really liked the inside of the campus and the campus life of being there. The surrounding town is what I never liked and still do not.

I loved the work out facilities and the pool. I also liked the entertainment center with the billards.

Basically if I go to UND, I will go there and spend most of my time inside the college.

Sooo with that said, Im highly considering enrolling at UND and Double Majoring there. The social life seems good enough inside the college. Sure its not as a glamourous life of ASU but I am more comfortable knowing I have a structured plan in place rather then having to do the flight on my own.

I would double in Commercial Aviation and then Business or Finance for the other degree. This keeps me well rounded but also will likely keep me in school for 5 years.

Still considering my options. I keep getting my mind set on the way I feel about going to a school and changing it. Its a hard decision to make and one that I do not want to be wrong in. After I went through the tour and walked around, I got my heart set on UND again. And I still feel if I can keep myself active in school, its the best choice for me.

Why would you pay out of state tuition to move to GRAND FORKS? I mean, I've never been there but looking at a map, it's about 20 miles east of Nowhere (not to be confused with Nothing, AZ). The sole reason to go there would be the flight program, and getting a degree in commercial aviation is just about the dumbest thing you could do.

I stayed at the University of North Dakota for a week this summer. Definately a great school with some great people. A whole new experience for me being in the Midwest too. I was pretty set on going to UND when I started to check out other schools I had applied to as well. I really became set on Auburn University and their program after comparing the two. With that said, I think UND is a great school and if you went there I don't think you would be making a mistake...just make sure you major in something like Aviation Management!!

Air Force One said:
Sooo with that said, Im highly considering enrolling at UND and Double Majoring there. The social life seems good enough inside the college. Sure its not as a glamourous life of ASU but I am more comfortable knowing I have a structured plan in place rather then having to do the flight on my own.
You know ASU has a flight program right?

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on an aviation university (ERAU/UND/DWC, etc). They're so wayyyyy overpriced. Unless you've got more money than brains, in which case, go somewhere where you can get the brains.

Back