Can I legally act as a safety pilot?

Timmy Tucker

I ran across somebody in my AO that is looking for a safety pilot. I’d like to jump on the opportunity since I’m itching to get back up in the air, but I’m still a couple months away from lessons.

I have my PPL, and just got my 1st class medical yesterday. However… I am not current, nor am I instrument rated. I’m still at work, so I haven’t had a chance to dig through the FARs yet.

Is it legal for me to act as a safety pilot, or do I need to pass on this?

Yes

§ 91.109 Flight instruction; Simulated instrument flight and certain flight tests.
(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft (except a manned free balloon) that is being used for flight instruction unless that aircraft has fully functioning dual controls. However, instrument flight instruction may be given in an airplane that is equipped with a single, functioning throwover control wheel that controls the elevator and ailerons, in place of fixed, dual controls, when -

(1) The instructor has determined that the flight can be conducted safely; and

(2) The person manipulating the controls has at least a private pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings.

(b) An airplane equipped with a single, functioning throwover control wheel that controls the elevator and ailerons, in place of fixed, dual controls may be used for flight instruction to conduct a flight review required by § 61.56 of this chapter, or to obtain recent flight experience or an instrument proficiency check required by § 61.57 when -

(1) The airplane is equipped with operable rudder pedals at both pilot stations;

(2) The pilot manipulating the controls is qualified to serve and serves as pilot in command during the entire flight;

(3) The instructor is current and qualified to serve as pilot in command of the airplane, meets the requirements of § 61.195(b), and has logged at least 25 hours of pilot-in-command flight time in the make and model of airplane; and

(4) The pilot in command and the instructor have determined the flight can be conducted safely.

(c) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless -

(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at least:

(i) A private pilot certificate with category and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown; or

(ii) For purposes of providing training for a solo cross-country endorsement under § 61.93 of this chapter, a flight instructor certificate with an appropriate sport pilot rating and meets the requirements of § 61.412 of this chapter.

(2) The safety pilot has adequate vision forward and to each side of the aircraft, or a competent observer in the aircraft adequately supplements the vision of the safety pilot; and

(3) Except in the case of lighter-than-air aircraft, that aircraft is equipped with fully functioning dual controls. However, simulated instrument flight may be conducted in a single-engine airplane, equipped with a single, functioning, throwover control wheel, in place of fixed, dual controls of the elevator and ailerons, when -

(i) The safety pilot has determined that the flight can be conducted safely; and

(ii) The person manipulating the controls has at least a private pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings.

(d) No person may operate a civil aircraft that is being used for a flight test for an airline transport pilot certificate or a class or type rating on that certificate, or for a part 121 proficiency flight test, unless the pilot seated at the controls, other than the pilot being checked, is fully qualified to act as pilot in command of the aircraft.

Yes

§ 91.109 Flight instruction; Simulated instrument flight and certain flight tests.
(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft (except a manned free balloon) that is being used for flight instruction unless that aircraft has fully functioning dual controls. However, instrument flight instruction may be given in an airplane that is equipped with a single, functioning throwover control wheel that controls the elevator and ailerons, in place of fixed, dual controls, when -

(1) The instructor has determined that the flight can be conducted safely; and

(2) The person manipulating the controls has at least a private pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings.

(b) An airplane equipped with a single, functioning throwover control wheel that controls the elevator and ailerons, in place of fixed, dual controls may be used for flight instruction to conduct a flight review required by § 61.56 of this chapter, or to obtain recent flight experience or an instrument proficiency check required by § 61.57 when -

(1) The airplane is equipped with operable rudder pedals at both pilot stations;

(2) The pilot manipulating the controls is qualified to serve and serves as pilot in command during the entire flight;

(3) The instructor is current and qualified to serve as pilot in command of the airplane, meets the requirements of § 61.195(b), and has logged at least 25 hours of pilot-in-command flight time in the make and model of airplane; and

(4) The pilot in command and the instructor have determined the flight can be conducted safely.

(c) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument flight unless -

(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses at least:

(i) A private pilot certificate with category and class ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown; or

(ii) For purposes of providing training for a solo cross-country endorsement under § 61.93 of this chapter, a flight instructor certificate with an appropriate sport pilot rating and meets the requirements of § 61.412 of this chapter.

(2) The safety pilot has adequate vision forward and to each side of the aircraft, or a competent observer in the aircraft adequately supplements the vision of the safety pilot; and

(3) Except in the case of lighter-than-air aircraft, that aircraft is equipped with fully functioning dual controls. However, simulated instrument flight may be conducted in a single-engine airplane, equipped with a single, functioning, throwover control wheel, in place of fixed, dual controls of the elevator and ailerons, when -

(i) The safety pilot has determined that the flight can be conducted safely; and

(ii) The person manipulating the controls has at least a private pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings.

(d) No person may operate a civil aircraft that is being used for a flight test for an airline transport pilot certificate or a class or type rating on that certificate, or for a part 121 proficiency flight test, unless the pilot seated at the controls, other than the pilot being checked, is fully qualified to act as pilot in command of the aircraft.

I just got home, will have a peek at the FARs for myself in a bit to confirm. Thank you so much!

Just to support @EIR, Yes you may Act as Safety Pilot if you hold a Private Pilot Certificate. However, you mentioned you were not current, so that may change the way you act as a Safety Pilot.

If you do not have a current 1. Flight Review, or 2. have the required endorsements (such as high performance, complex, tailwheel etc), then you would have to act as an SIC, not PIC. Which means you could not log PIC time.

If your Flight Review was current, you have the required endorsements, AND you and your friend agree that you are the one acting as PIC while he is the sole manipulator of the flight controls then you could log PIC while he is under the hood.

Medical is required regardless if you are PIC or SIC.

If you do not . . . 2. have the required endorsements (such as high performance, complex, tailwheel etc), then you would have to act as an SIC, not PIC. Which means you could not log PIC time.

According to FAR 61.51, to log PIC time, you must be have only in the appropriate category and class (airplane, single-engine land). This means that pilots receiving dual, or who are acting as safety pilots, but are not yet endorsed, can still log that time as PIC in the appropriate column (complex, HP, tailwheel, etc.).

According to FAR 61.51, to log PIC time, you must be have only in the appropriate category and class (airplane, single-engine land). This means that pilots receiving dual, or who are acting as safety pilots, but are not yet endorsed, can still log that time as PIC in the appropriate column (complex, HP, tailwheel, etc.).

You might be getting "sole manipulator" PIC and acting PIC confused. 61.31 requires a logbook endorsement to act as PIC in TW/HP/complex aircraft. A person acting as safety pilot in one of those aircraft without the appropriate endorsement can't act as PIC and has to log SIC time. Just repeating what Fly_Unity said.

While it is true that 61.51 allows you to log PIC even if you do not have the proper endorsements, that part only applies if you are the Sole Manipulator.

61.51 basically says you can log PIC if you meet 'ONE' of these requirements:

1. Sole Manipulator of the flight controls and rated Category and Class
2. Sole occupant of the aircraft
3. Acting as PIC and a required Crewmember
4. Instructor giving dual instruction
5....(And a few other situations not used to often)

So yes, in your example, you can log PIC time IF you are the sole manipulator using the #1 scenario. However the OP would be using the #3 scenario as a safety pilot if he wanted to log PIC. So if he did not meet the requirements to "ACT" as PIC (such as holding a current Flight review or proper endorsements), then he would have to refer to 61.51(f) logging of SIC time which states he may log SIC time if he holds the category and class and is a required crewmember.

Back