Calling Engineers on your opinion of degrees...

ProudPilot

Aeronautics Geek
So...

I spent a LOT of money on my BS in Aeronautics from UND Aerospace. I graduated with a 2.8 (lots of reasons, but I had a year and a half where working and illness really got the best of me). While I love flying, the QOL for myself and my family would be on the bottom end due to my debt vs pay.

So I'm looking into changing careers. My grandfather and 2 cousins are all Electrical Engineers. I'm not sure I want to follow their footsteps. I would ideally work in magnetic devices or propulsion systems. In general, I still have fun just building things.

I was told before that Mechanical Engineering gets you a job anywhere as an Engineer. However, I wanted to put it out to you if you think a different major would be better. I believe I need to get another BS before I can get a MS or MEng.

Also, I know I don't qualify for the SMART program due to my gpa, but does anyone know of another sponsorship? I know there's a demand for uas pilot/engineers right now, but I'll miss that boat and I doubt the size of some of these companies would be willing to sponsor.

Thank You in advance!

I don't know that I have much advice for you, but your post made me think of me. I graduated with a BS in Aeronautical Science a year and a half ago. I was using working as an A&P and CFI until that company went out of business a month or two ago. When one of my clients heard that I was loosing my job he asked me for my resume. Two weeks ago now I started work for him as a product engineer working on fuel systems. I got an engineering job with an engineering degree or any experience working as one, proving once again that its not what you know, but who you know.

Yep,

I know the who you know is crucial right now. However, most of the people I know are with a company that's laying off, or are at the retirement age and either looking for work themselves, or getting out of the business.

If there's an engineer out there looking for an apprentice, I'm interested too. Overseas is fine, so long as the pay compensates for the move.

I went to school for civil engineering while I was getting my pilot licenses. I don't have a MS degree in engineering but the way at my school worked was if you didn't have an undergraduate engineering degree you'd have to take a lot of these lower/upper division engineering classes, but of course to do that you have to take all the engineering math/physics classes. So, it may just be easier to get an undergraduate engineering degree. The main thing in my opinion is to get become a licensed engineer (P.E. Professional Engineer) for that you just need a undergraduate engineering degree and 4 years of work experience under another P.E. That P.E. license is really important for civil engineers. It allows you to sign off and approve project designs.

I would say mechanical or aerospace if you really want to work on stuff like propulsion.

But in reality like you said mechanical for sure gets you in anywhere. I know when I was looking at aerospace type jobs they require "an engineering degree." Also most places that you would like to work for require some sort of experience i.e. internships, so it's not always just the school work; however most engineering interships, unlike many other fields, are paid and pay well. At NWA I was making $17/hr part-time.

Consider taking some part time catch-up classes at a local public university that has a strong focus on continuing education (evening classes, enrollment not necessary at the beginning). Near where I live, San Jose State University would fit the bill. You probably have a similar institution near where you live. Do well in those classes and then consider going directly for a Masters, if you still like it. One problem with doing a whole new BS is the general education requirements. I value the broad education, but you have already done it once and are trying to focus on a career change.

Different types of engineers have different mannerisms and things that make them tick. I keep my cell phone as simple as possible and in general shun the iphone type devices of the world, so I would probably not be well motivated as an electrical engineer. Others really go for that stuff, and that's cool for them. On the other hand, I find high speed / high energy fluid flows and aerospace systems interesting, so I am in the field of propulsion and launch vehicle design (mechanical and aerospace). I would also be at home in aerodynamics or aircraft design. Those are simply some of my interests that have influenced my career to this point. The more important thing is, what are your interests? What do you have an inclination to do in your spare time?

If you like making things that you can touch and feel, computer science is clearly out. If you like machinery and machining, the discipline of machine design within mechanical engineering could be for you. Also keep in mind "Engineering Technology" degrees if you want to stay in a more hands-on environment doing the actual building. I work with a couple of technicians that are creative and excellent craftsmen that really keep the operation moving.

So I'll reopen this since my finances have changed dramatically and I might be able to afford to go back to school. I like building automated systems (computers, RC, engines, etc) and think Mechanical engineering masters with my current BS in Aeronautics would be ideal for UAS. Does anyone know a school that is big in UAS or that the people in the DOD prefer? I was looking at a few schools in California and Denver, but mostly just because they are places that I could be for two years and be comfortable.

Oh, and Stanford is way too expensive. Other ideas?

I'm probably biased, but I think there's more work in the Defense/Aerospace sector as an Electrical Engineer than there is as a Mech/Aero engineer. If you're a born-US citizen with a EE degree with a decent GPA and a clean record (read: eligible for security clearance), you will easily find a job in the Defense/Aero sector...even in this economy. You simply can't export security-sensitive Defense work the way that you can for most other engineering sectors. The biggest areas for work in unmanned aerial systems are in the controls, data links, sesnsors, and artificial intelligence areas.....those are all Electrical Engineering topics.

As far as schools go, Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo offers a pretty good eningeering degree for the money if you're a CA resident. If you're in ND, UND probably offers the cheapest program for you. There's a DoD program called PALACE ACQUIRE that starts you out as a GS-7, non-competitively promotes you to GS-12, and sends you to get your MS paid for by The Man. All you need is a good undergrad GPA and be eligible for a security clearance. The pay, benefits, and QOL of being a government engineer kick the pants out of any civilian flying career with less than 10 years of experience.

To the OP:

Sounds like a plan! Masters in either Electrical or Mechanical would be a safe choice. With an advanced degree you open up new doors and great opportunities! I DO NOT THINK you would need another BS before your MS. I would talk to different schools and it might be a question of getting your pre-requisites sorted out. I am getting a masters in Technical education after a bachelors in software engineering.

As someone else said - all that matters is that security clearance (for a DoD/UAS job) and a decent GPA. Personally, I don't really think your field of study in engineering matters. I have seen mechanical engineers working in the software industry and having no problems. It's all about working hard and showing an employer that you can deliver the goods at the end of the day!

Hope this helps and good luck to you! Keep us posted on your endeavors and have fun!

Sunny

Back