Called my facility today to see if I could get a tour

GnW

Conversation went as follows:

YIP: "Willow run tower"

ME: "Hi, is there a manager around I could speak with?" :D

YIP: *click*

ME: :(

I think I'll start off with my name next time? I'm guessing it was just two guys in the tower with no manager on duty and they didn't feel like talking to a reporter or something?

I think I'll start off with my name next time? I'm guessing it was just two guys in the tower with no manager on duty and they didn't feel like talking to a reporter or something?

At least you got an answer! The last two days, I've gotten a lonely ring-ring...:banghead:

At least you got an answer! The last two days, I've gotten a lonely ring-ring...:banghead:

haha it took me a while to find the number for mine. not that it did me any good. i got a similar friendly greeting when i was trying to get picked up at DTW :laff:

Progress! haha. I figure with the IWR's answering phones are not high on their priorities... I think the Secretary is out of the office for the week because I actually had been able to get a tour about a month ago. The Acting manger was gad to have me up and show me around. I'm trying to get back for another and to let them know I'm going to be on this next selection panel..:buck:

you're going to willow run? LOL

tower numbers are easy, I can find them in 5 seconds. Yip is 734-482-5825 unless it's changed.

you're going to willow run? LOL

tower numbers are easy, I can find them in 5 seconds. Yip is 734-482-5825 unless it's changed.

yeah YIP wasn't my first or even 5th choice, but it's a facility and i guess i'll have to stomach it for a while. i just want in. :drool:

Well...here's where you went wrong---

You: "Hi, Is there a manager there I could speak with?"

What you should have said:

Hi, Is there a manager there I could speak with? I'm calling in reference to your donut delivery..." :sarcasm:

yeah YIP wasn't my first or even 5th choice, but it's a facility and i guess i'll have to stomach it for a while. i just want in. :drool:
lots of traffic there, there's a big 135 operator on field that'll keep you busy.

I've been having trouble getting a tour scheduled and confirmed as well.

Anyone else have any luck touring ZFW? PM me with how I need to go about it.

Well...here's where you went wrong---

You: "Hi, Is there a manager there I could speak with?"

What you should have said:

Hi, Is there a manager there I could speak with? I'm calling in reference to your donut delivery..." :sarcasm:

i'll try that one tomorrow

Well I got ahold of the manager today. Had to explain who I was first and everything. He said the tower is usually short-staffed so there might not be anybody to let me in the gate, but he gave me directions to the airport :laff:

Yeah, I tried DTW and was told that they only do it for commercial pilots that fly out of the airport. I thought I wouldn't have a problem because I got a tour of PHX ATCT, but oh well.

Try TOL, they're pretty open to tours from what I hear.

Have fun in Ypsilanti! I wish I were going there as I have a house there, but nope, it is SUX for me...

If you are interested in buying a house, let me know. I can get you a link to the flyer.

Have fun in Ypsilanti! I wish I were going there as I have a house there, but nope, it is SUX for me...

If you are interested in buying a house, let me know. I can get you a link to the flyer.

well, there's always... well, nothing in iowa :(

if the house is still on the market in a year let me know :hiya:

I have managed toget a quick tour of the Jax Tower. At first they keep putting me off, then I told them I have applied and passed my at-sat for the FAA and they became very helpfull. They sent me to a out side contractor to do the tour which the guy is a retired controller. Everyone was very helpful. I have seen three people to do the job of twelve,

I've been having trouble getting a tour scheduled and confirmed as well.

Anyone else have any luck touring ZFW? PM me with how I need to go about it.

I got a tour at ZFW about a month ago. Ill send the guy and email that did my tour and see if he minds if i let other TOL guys have his info and if he would be willing to do other tours? If he says ok I'll PM you his contact info.

Its funny that everyone has a hard time getting into facilities. As part of my job now we are required to do a tour of ZNY oceanic every year so I have been there 4 or 5 times already. Havn't had much time to check out domestic ops though.

the only number I have at work for my facility is the watch desk so I kind of figured I'd leave him alone.

Don't keep secrets.

Just tell them your name and you are scheduled to work there and looking for a tour. If they can help you, they will...if they can't they'll transfer you. If there's nobody to help...they'll tell you to call back.

Gotta call at the right times too...not too sure about this willow run place but if it's a smaller type facility and you call late in the day...it's probably one person working alone...screw the phones :) Try Monday mornings.

Back