Call Sign Last Acceptable?

B767Driver

Help! Calling ATC guys. Is it acceptable to for an aircraft to state their call sign at the end of a transmission? Or should it always be given on the front end?

Do you have a preference?

I never really had a preference... if I knew that my transmission was being responded to by the a/c to which it was delivered, I was satisfied.

I checked the AIM and found where it says, for othere than initial callups, that putting the callsign at the beginning OR the end is OK. (4-2-3.c.)

The wording of that section is subject to debate. I had a boss early in my career that interpreted that section a certain way...required his pilots to comply with his interpretation...and it's stuck with me ever since. I still see the logic of his interpretation...although it is largely splitting hairs.

Except for initial call, I always say the call sign last. Reason is that it clearly differentiates it from an ATC call, and if there happens to be a similar callsign, I figure it's less likely they'll get confused also.

Except for initial call, I always say the call sign last. Reason is that it clearly differentiates it from an ATC call, and if there happens to be a similar callsign, I figure it's less likely they'll get confused also.

Same

"Socal Approach, Cessna Bravo Juliet six-niner..."
"Cessna bravo juliet six-niner, socal approach..."

The AIM used to say to have it at the beginning, they changed the wording a few years ago.

We still always have the callsign first.

I make a dedicated effort to use the call sign at the beginning of responses to ATC. One reason for this is that data suggests that the short term memory can only hold information for 8 seconds...then it is lost.

If I use my call sign first...then repeat the response information...I have to make a concerted and concentrated effort to remember the information ATC was giving me. From there...it stays in my memory better until I can get it set in the automation, in the radio frequency box, written down, etc, etc.

If I quickly and hastily repeat the information from ATC...then acknowledge with my callsign...I will frequently find myself questioning the accuracy of the info in my brain. (Of course my brain power is not that good to begin with!!) If I must quickly readback the info to ATC in an effort not to forget it...then by the time I get my call sign out at the end....there's a good likelihood that I'm going to screw up the response when it matters most....when I have to act to comply with the instructions.

Try it sometime and see what you think. Fly a whole day, an hour flight training session, etc...responding to ATC with your call sign first. I'm going to bet you find your confidence in the received information much higher.

If you feel that you cannot remember the information if you repeat your call sign first...then I would suggest writing the information down until you get acclimated to being able to do so. Then after writing it down...respond with your call sign and then the information.

It takes a little more brain effort at first...then after you are used to it...it gets much easier. Bottom line...I think you will find it forces you to use better concentration and listening skills with ATC. And hopefully, fewer communication breakdowns in the cockpit.

One reason for this is that data suggests that the short term memory can only hold information for 8 seconds...then it it lost.

...I will frequently find myself questioning the accuracy of the info in my brain.

thank god and here I was feeling stupid and thinking it was just meeee! :D

I like callsign first too, but it just sounds odd because you hear no one else doing it (doesn't make it right though!). As an aside, in our operations manual, it states that we will read back all ATC clerances with callsign first. Perhaps due to the reason you posted. Good post BTW.

Personally it doesn't matter to me, as long as the callsign gets in the transmission so I know the right person got it.

- Nate

Back