California Bay Area plane rental

scooter2525

Very well Member
My sister asked me the other day about how much it would cost to rent a plane from the bay area and fly to portland, OR. I'm seeing if anyone has any good suggestions for rental places in the bay area, renting a 182/mooney/bonanza. Basically something to get four adults and overnight luggage up and back. Fuel stops would be considered for weight of course. Sorry if in wrong section.

Usually clubs in the area require monthly fees, initiation fees, long checkouts and whatnot. There are some which only require minimal or no fees ($20/month), or minimal paperwork. I recommend you look at Advantage Aviation or Shoreline in PAO, Ahart in LVK and Nice Air in RHV. A 182 is around $160/h, give or take. Usually, the cheaper ones also come with some 'gotcha' - like knobs falling off and such.

I second the recommendation of Shoreline Flying Club. Although their offices are essentially closed for renovation right now so at the moment it's kind of tough to get in touch with them. Hopefully they will be fully re-opened soon.

Sundance Flying Club, located at the same airport (PAO), offers a temporary membership option of $10/month that might meet your needs. No 182s but they have a Bonanza.

If you're going to make the flight SF - PDX, fly along the coastline. It will not take much longer than going direct, and the scenery is amazing.

Check out the following airports for fuel stops:

Little River
Shelter Cove
Arcata
Crescent City

All airports are right on the beautiful California coast and are amazing stopovers.

-Also, I would only make that flight if I were IFR current (IFR could pop up anywhere along the route at any time of year).-

-Also, I would only make that flight if I were IFR current (IFR could pop up anywhere along the route at any time of year).-

I'll second that about the IFR thing. The marine layer is alive and kicking on the coast although it becomes less of a problem this time of year but winter rain storms are going to become more of a problem. Check the weather before you go. If you shoot north through the central valley and up to Red Bluff you'll probably stear clear of the marine layer depending on how you plan your flight. It is possible to make the flight in VFR.

If someone needs a club checkout at Shoreline PM me. I'm an instructor there and I might be able to help you out.

Thanks for the replys guys. I am IFR current, and would probably fly as such, but it will be a partial scenic flight, so I would like the freedom to drop down and check things out.

Taildragger- is the check out pretty standard for the club like a systems test and a quick flight, like stalls and a few landings (depending on how things go)?

Taildragger- is the check out pretty standard for the club like a systems test and a quick flight, like stalls and a few landings (depending on how things go)?

Yup. You have to join the club (which you do on the website) and then fill out the aircraft checkout form (under useful information). Bring that form to your checkout. You and your instructor will go through it and head out to the airplane for a checkout flight. The flight is pretty standard. I tell people its not a checkride so dont act like its one.

Be aware though at the moment the club's lobby is under construction and we can not enter the building. This hasnt been a problem though, we just dont have a good meeting area or lobby.

Drop me a PM.

Back