C-2 COD ops.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Cool video. Especially the wing unfolding when hooking up to the cat at about the 3:00 mark.

[yt]pV9fN9I2qBE&feature=related[/yt]

I don't know, it's hard to make the COD look cool. I have almost 2000 hours in the War Pig and it was difficult fly, difficult to land on the boat, had all sorts of maint issues (4 single engines, including a flameout at 100' during FCLP's for me), hydraluic failures, electical failures, etc, etc. Funny that my good bud who fly's for Southwest Airlines said in 2000+ hours in the 737, he had zero issues, not one. He listed, like I did, multiple problems flying the COD. We lost our combinded hydraulics on the cat, at tension. Off a CAT shot at night, we had our rudder trim jam full right, etc, etc. But it got me to the boat safely each and every time. It had issues but it was tough...certainly a Grumman product. The lifestyle was great though, living on the beach, drinking beer, meeting women, etc...Have to share one of my favorite photo's, my last trip to the boat in the COD...my next trip to the boat should be in the T-45 :)

Bunkslastcarrierflight048-1.jpg

Did you guys have your own flight deck personnel? Seems so in the video, but I didn't think the C-2s were based aboard the ship?

Did you guys have your own flight deck personnel? Seems so in the video, but I didn't think the C-2s were based aboard the ship?

Here's how I worked my DET as an OIC. If we were in transit, then the entire DET was onboard. If were operating out of a forward logistics hub, I would leave a small catch crew onboard the boat, usually about 5-8 folks...if we only had 5, we would borrow some guys from the VAW squadron and give them flight deck skins (the extra money flight deck personnel got working on deck).

When I first started flying CODs, VRC-30 was ship based and we flew both day and night from the boat. Operating from the shore is much, much better for all...from the flight deck to logistic ops. Plus, being able to drink beer everday doesn't suck :)

Here's how I worked my DET as an OIC. If we were in transit, then the entire DET was onboard. If were operating out of a forward logistics hub, I would leave a small catch crew onboard the boat, usually about 5-8 folks...if we only had 5, we would borrow some guys from the VAW squadron and give them flight deck skins (the extra money flight deck personnel got working on deck).

When I first started flying CODs, VRC-30 was ship based and we flew both day and night from the boat. Operating from the shore is much, much better for all...from the flight deck to logistic ops. Plus, being able to drink beer everday doesn't suck :)

So the VAW ground crews can service C-2s also? Figures, as similar as the airframes are. Do the flight deck personnel belong to the individual squadrons, or are they ships company?

Reason I ask is because I know a P-3 guy who was a cat officer on a CVN, but he was ships company. Just wondering who belongs to who on deck.

So the VAW ground crews can service C-2s also? Figures, as similar as the airframes are. Do the flight deck personnel belong to the individual squadrons, or are they ships company?

Reason I ask is because I know a P-3 guy who was a cat officer on a CVN, but he was ships company. Just wondering who belongs to who on deck.

Each squadron has flight deck personnel but more airframe specific...the ship has its flight deck crew as well....those who handle fuel (purple shirts); the handlers, those who taxi aircraft (the yellow shirts), etc, etc. All of them are on the flight deck at any one time.

I don't know, it's hard to make the COD look cool. I have almost 2000 hours in the War Pig and it was difficult fly, difficult to land on the boat, had all sorts of maint issues (4 single engines, including a flameout at 100' during FCLP's for me), hydraluic failures, electical failures, etc, etc. Funny that my good bud who fly's for Southwest Airlines said in 2000+ hours in the 737, he had zero issues, not one. He listed, like I did, multiple problems flying the COD. We lost our combinded hydraulics on the cat, at tension. Off a CAT shot at night, we had our rudder trim jam full right, etc, etc. But it got me to the boat safely each and every time. It had issues but it was tough...certainly a Grumman product. The lifestyle was great though, living on the beach, drinking beer, meeting women, etc...Have to share one of my favorite photo's, my last trip to the boat in the COD...my next trip to the boat should be in the T-45 :)
I'm surprised you had that much trouble with the T-56. Although I've lost count on how many I've had to shut down.

I was part of VRC-30 DET-3 on the Connie's 99 WESTPAC....good times :beer:

I was out of there three years earlier, but I know the game was the same. C-2 lands, mail is hauled off, and right down the weapons elevator to below decks. I can smell the JP5 now.:beer:

I can vouch that the E2/C2 is the most difficult aircraft to land on the ship. No counter rotating props (lots of torque) and a wing span that is ever so close to the noses of other aircraft lined up on deck. I had friends in VAW (E2s) and I had it easy compared to them. I remember in the early days of female pilots that occasionally one or two would come aboard in the COD (C2) to bring aboard mail, supplies or whatever.... They would occasionally spend the night on the ship if maintenance or operational issues dictated it. They were always kept in the blue tile area (captains or admirals quarters) with Marine guards placed at strategic locations to keep the male sailors away. It wasn't long before the crew of 5000 male sailors were aware there was a female or females aboard and the whole ship seemed to take on a different tone. I assume it was like keeping hungry lions away from a fresh gazelle carcass back then (No disrespect ladies, I am a big Discovery Channel fan). Now it's common place to have women serving aboard ships but the days of transitioning to coed crews are almost certainly full of some funny and colorful stories.

I can vouch that the E2/C2 is the most difficult aircraft to lane on the ship. No counter rotating props (lots of torque) and a wing span that is ever so close to the noses of other aircraft lined up on deck. I had friends in VAW (E2s) and I had it easy compared to them. I remember in the early days of female pilots that occasionally one or two would come aboard in the COD (C2) to bring aboard mail, supplies or whatever.... They would occasionally spend the night on the ship if maintenance or operational issues dictated it. They were always kept in the blue tile area (captains or admirals quarters) with Marine guards placed at strategic locations to keep the male sailors away. It wasn't long before the crew of 5000 male sailors were aware there was a female or females aboard and the whole ship seemed to take on a different tone. I assume it was like keeping hungry lions away from a fresh gazelle carcass back then (No disrespect ladies, I am a big Discovery Channel fan). Now it's common place to have women serving aboard ships but the days of transitioning to coed crews are almost certainly full of some funny and colorful stories.

I'd love to hear from some of the old heads how challenging planes like the F-8, the RA-5C, or the EA-3 Whale (all versions) were to bring aboard.

I'm surprised you had that much trouble with the T-56. Although I've lost count on how many I've had to shut down.

I should have been more clear...2 shut downs, 1 no relight and 1 flameout. Of course, countless chip lights, hydraulic issues, etc, etc. I'm sure you're very, very familiar.

I should have been more clear...2 shut downs, 1 no relight and 1 flameout. Of course, countless chip lights, hydraulic issues, etc, etc. I'm sure you're very, very familiar.
NATOPS has now changed to allow ops with a CHIPS light and no secondaries. Did you guys have the same crazy ass prop system with pitchlock, etc. I have the distinction of now have had two props overspeed and pitchlock on me, one coming out of DMA last month, the other midway between Elemendorf and Misawa.

NATOPS has now changed to allow ops with a CHIPS light and no secondaries. Did you guys have the same crazy ass prop system with pitchlock, etc. I have the distinction of now have had two props overspeed and pitchlock on me, one coming out of DMA last month, the other midway between Elemendorf and Misawa.

The old props, yes. I never flew the new 8 bladed prop system where "supposedly" it doesn't pitchlock. I forgot, I had an overspeed and pitchlcoked prop as well. Not sure if NATOPS was changed about the CHIP light.

Back in 01, during OEF, we had a bird in which a CHIP light was coming on consisently. The time between lights was getting smaller, metal in the oil. The OIC was a weak dick pansy who was afraid to stop ops for fear of CAG. With the help of the DET MO and CAGMO, finally convinced a motor change and I flew the bird back to the boat, over 800nm, with a CHIP light. The T1 section of the turbine blade, as it was found out, was coming apart. Nice.

Loved the C-2, It brought all the wonderful mail to me on the Kitty and took my ass off it when it was time to leave.......Not a fan of rear facing seats though (thumbs in the webbing, toes on seat in front of you for the cat).

The old props, yes. I never flew the new 8 bladed prop system where "supposedly" it doesn't pitchlock. I forgot, I had an overspeed and pitchlcoked prop as well. Not sure if NATOPS was changed about the CHIP light.

Back in 01, during OEF, we had a bird in which a CHIP light was coming on consisently. The time between lights was getting smaller, metal in the oil. The OIC was a weak dick pansy who was afraid to stop ops for fear of CAG. With the help of the DET MO and CAGMO, finally convinced a motor change and I flew the bird back to the boat, over 800nm, with a CHIP light. The T1 section of the turbine blade, as it was found out, was coming apart. Nice.

Have the E2/C2 had a prop separate from the aircraft like VP-47s Masirah ditch? Hmmmm a COD tanker????? What is the max weight you can throw in a COD?

Loved the C-2, It brought all the wonderful mail to me on the Kitty and took my ass off it when it was time to leave.......Not a fan of rear facing seats though (thumbs in the webbing, toes on seat in front of you for the cat).

When were you on the Kitty? Me, late 1999 to late 2002.

Have the E2/C2 had a prop separate from the aircraft like VP-47s Masirah ditch? Hmmmm a COD tanker????? What is the max weight you can throw in a COD?

A few cases of the prop sheath coming off in flight, one from DET-5 in 2000 or so. Lucky to have not led to something worse. Only 3 COD's have been lost with fatalities (on all 3, all perished onboard). All were in the 1968-1971 timeframe and were using the old square tipped props. It is believed on two of the mishaps, the props seperated from the aircraft. The third was lost on the cat shot when an improperly secured generator came loose on the cat shot, shifting the cg to full aft and the COD went vertical, hammered and slammed into the water. It's on youtube in the middle of one of the multiple carrier mishap videos.

Back