C-055 2 NAV Rule. Lower Ceiling or Lower Vis?

TXAce

Hypothetical question I think I already know the answer to but still curious. If I have a list of options, let’s say my choices of mins are
ILS 16L. 200-1/2

GPS 34C - 400-1

NDB RWY 16R - 500 3/4

Which would we better to use for the 2nd Navaid? Lower ceiling or lower vis

I think it’s lower vis but I want to make sure

Depends on what you need to suit the forecast. If visibility is forecast at 1 1/4 with a 900 foot ceiling, you take the vis. If forecast is 2 miles vis with a 600 ft ceiling, you take the ceiling.

What are forecast winds for alternate at ETA? What kind of approach are you using at your destination? Both are factors.

Hypothetical question I think I already know the answer to but still curious. If I have a list of options, let’s say my choices of mins are
ILS 16L. 200-1/2

GPS 34C - 400-1

NDB RWY 16R - 500 3/4

Depending on what you use, either way you’re screwed. If this was my only option, I’d just use the 1 navaid rule on the ILS with higher vis and call it a day. You can save the lower vis as a backup or… just go with a different alternate.

ILS 16L. 200-1/2

GPS 34C - 400-1

NDB RWY 16R - 500 3/4

What are the forecast winds?

For 2 runways it is the higher of both vis and cig

1698817993096.png

i think that’s understood. in the example given by OP, the combination of approaches using the GPS approach gives you a better ceiling while the NDB approach gives you slightly better vis
There is an 80 degree difference…and the 2 navaid rule says “suitable runway”

Back