Busted Nose....Would the ride be rough?

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
art.nw.plane.damage.02.cnn.jpg

(CNN) -- Northwest Airlines is investigating why the nose cone on one of its planes caved in on a flight Sunday from Detroit, Michigan, to Tampa, Florida, a spokeswoman said Sunday.

Northwest Flight 478 landed in Tampa, Florida, at 2:30 p.m. as scheduled, a spokeswoman said. The damage to the plane occurred during the flight, but didn't affect Flight 478's scheduled 2:30 p.m. landing in Tampa, Florida, said Northwest spokeswoman Kristin Baur.

Baur, who called the damage a "minor maintenance issue" and a "very rare occurrence" said all 182 passengers on board arrived in Tampa safely.

Pictures sold to CNN by a passenger awaiting the plane's next leg, to Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota, show the nose cone bashed in. Instead of continuing on, the plane was towed away, said the passenger, who was still waiting for a plane five hours later.

Sorry kids, no Xmas this year. Santa went out for a dry run with a new reindeer and sled coupling and well, the rest is history.

"Pictures sold to CNN by a passenger awaiting the plane's next leg"

What do pictures of aircraft damage go for nowadays? Maybe I could make a quick buck...

"Pictures sold to CNN by a passenger awaiting the plane's next leg"

What do pictures of aircraft damage go for nowadays? Maybe I could make a quick buck...

People ALWAYS sell their pictures to news agencies - it's not just pictures of airplanes. I don't blame them.

People ALWAYS sell their pictures to news agencies - it's not just pictures of airplanes. I don't blame them.

Dont get me wrong I dont blame them either. My comment was more aimed at the fact that I dont recall ever reading an article that mentioned the pictures came from a third party, etc.

I've had lightening strike damage do that before, but I don't see any scorching in the picture. Nose cones are composite laminate (so the radar can see through them). I guess it's possible the material structure failed and was crushed by the airload.

I've had lightening strike damage do that before, but I don't see any scorching in the picture. Nose cones are composite laminate (so the radar can see through them). I guess it's possible the material structure failed and was crushed by the airload.

I can confirm that there were heavy thunderstorms in the area at the time. We landed about 45 minutes before this aircraft and had to go around due to windshear. Lightning was striking about 4-5 miles east of the field at the time, and eventually it started to move closer to the airport.

I've had lightening strike damage do that before, but I don't see any scorching in the picture.

I've had lightning strikes/electrostatic discharge that left marks so tough to see that they were barely visible even when the crew chief pointed them out to me.

This story was just on NBC nightly news just after a piece about Obama's plane troubles. Williams prefaced it with something that made me think that they'd be talking about the Kalitta or USAjet mishaps...guess I was wrong. If it doesn't happen in this country with an American airplane and where Americans are hurt, the nightly news won't touch it it seems.

Back