Business Aviation: The Unfair Advantage

SteveCostello

My member is well-known.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/businessaviation/2012/08/06/business-aviation-the-unfair-advantage/

What was once used only in extraordinary circumstances or by top global companies has today become a business necessity. If you charter, lease or own an aircraft, you already understand that
Business Aviation
— also called General Aviation — is as indispensable as your cell phone and your laptop. For those companies that don’t use Business Aviation, read on to discover why it’s an invaluable business tool in order to survive — and thrive — in today’s tough economic climate.

Good article. Here's hoping that Part 91 gets hot and heavy by the time I have enough hours to be competitive.

Two other points... First, I would argue that Business Aviation is a subset of General Aviation, as opposed to being "also called." Second... they used a Starship for one of their stock photos. :cry:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/businessaviation/2012/08/06/business-aviation-the-unfair-advantage/

Good article. Here's hoping that Part 91 gets hot and heavy by the time I have enough hours to be competitive.

Two other points... First, I would argue that Business Aviation is a subset of General Aviation, as opposed to being "also called." Second... they used a Starship for one of their stock photos. :cry:

I'm sure the NBAA's PR firm is being well compensated to place "Business Aviation" pieces like this (they probably wrote most of it).

True. It did read like one long sales pitch...

Might be the same folks that write all the material for UND, ERAU, SLU, ATP, et al.

True. It did read like one long sales pitch...

Might be the same folks that write all the material for UND, ERAU, SLU, ATP, et al.
Nah, all the colleges are all about getting to the airlines. As far as they are concerned, GA, and with it, business aviation, by and large, get in the way of the airlines. Take away airlines, and there is no need for big schools. There are extremely few corporate aviation positions that anybody will qualify for within several years of graduating from any of the cookie cutter schools (yes, I am ERAU alumni and in corporate aviation, so can speak a little on the subject).

Ssshhhh, don't let the secret get out. (I'm on day 3 of 9 scheduled days off right now)

Part 91 corporate aviation: When it's good, it's unbelievably good.

Ssshhhh, don't let the secret get out. (I'm on day 3 of 9 scheduled days off right now)

Yeah, I enjoy the time off, but the time on duty can be "a bit long".;) It's still worth it at this point, but starting to look back in the US now. The son is 5, and starting kindergarten, and football. It's time for less time away from home at a whack...at some point in time.

Nah, all the colleges are all about getting to the airlines. As far as they are concerned, GA, and with it, business aviation, by and large, get in the way of the airlines. Take away airlines, and there is no need for big schools. There are extremely few corporate aviation positions that anybody will qualify for within several years of graduating from any of the cookie cutter schools (yes, I am ERAU alumni and in corporate aviation, so can speak a little on the subject).

UND alum myself. I didn't even consider the path I'm on at the moment. UND, like ERAU I'm sure, is completely "ZOMG REGIONALS JEEEEEEETTTTTTS!!". I saw the light one day... :D

To add to what Zap said, when it's bad, it's REALLY bad. ;)

Here's a good article on John Deere's flight department. Nevermind the HORRID photoshop with at least 4 different group photos, some of them blatantly taken indoors! :D Gone 82 days a year with a fleet that burns TONS of gas(I hate gas, burn it!)? YES PLEASE! Goes to show how valuable a flight department can really be for a company that utilizes it carefully and properly. Deere published a figure that their flight department actually SAVED them over 6 million dollars back when they were getting tons of flak for having private jets.
http://www.propilotmag.com/archives/2011/Dec 11/A1_Deere_p1.html

Boy howdy that's true! And those are the days I am on JC asking, "so who is hiring again? Really? Well that's not TOO much of a paycut..."

Ha! I have those "WTF am I doing????" moments every time I go to take a nap in an FBO recliner. I'm in freight though.

I know a guy in Pittsburgh that's an FO on an X. 20k a year with LONG trips. Goes to show that the equipment doesn't indicate anything. Best schedule I've ever heard of was a guy I talked to in Naples, FL. He flies a privately owned CJ1 for a guy maybe 2 times a month. Just required a week notice via email, text or phone call. The owner paid him 85k/year to do this. A job where LANDING currency becomes an issue? Ridiculous! :D

This is good reading. Some of you might know, I am seriously considering taking a leap into aviation, with corporate as my end goal. I'd prefer not to do any 121 time. We (the wife and I) will be making a decision in the next few months. I'll probably drop a post about it in a week or so. It's been very interesting research.

Unfortunately, like everything else in professional aviation, when it's bad.....

I have a very good friend and mentor who quit flying for a medium-sized flight department of a very wealthy CEO (flying some good iron -- a G-V and a BBJ) because the work rules and environment were so terrible. From the outside, he said, the job appeared like his career destination. Once he started working there, it seemed more like a nightmare.

Yup and, worse yet, it can turn on a dime. Could've been your dream job for a decade and all of the sudden <poof!>...

Yep, a job that's too good to be true can be just that. A friend of mine flew twice a month, then that became once a month......then a mx issue....and poof, bye bye nice gig.

I'm sure it's sweet while it lasts!!

Yup and, worse yet, it can turn on a dime. Could've been your dream job for a decade and all of the sudden <poof!>...

I think that's being a pilot in general. :) Problem with this side of the field is that you're more than likely going to have to move. I admire the 121 side for this flexibility alone, even if commuting sucks.

Yeah, you just start to get a little scared in your 40s when you begin to worry about competing for the next job when the music stops.

music goes with economical climate...supply & demand

crisis is behind us.more jobs coming.

if you got something for me in 135 let me know before i go sell my soul to 121 devils....:)

Back