Busiest airport...

SteveC

"Laconic"
Staff member
...KOSH.

At least for one week during the year.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/07/airventure-control-tower

For one week every year, the air traffic control tower at the small airport here is the busiest in the world. And today is the busiest day of all for the hand-picked all-star crew of controllers who will handle more than 3,000 flights in just 10 hours.

On a normal day, Wittman Regional Airport might see a few hundred take-offs and landings. But more than 10,000 aircraft from around the world descend on Oshkosh for the week-long AirVenture aviation show. On a slow day the controllers might direct 1,500 flights. Some days see more than 2,000. But with many of those who arrived early in the week heading home — and those coming in for the weekend arriving — Thursday is usually the busiest day of the week.

On this day last year, the tower directed 3,035 flights in just 10 hours. That’s about 400 more than the crew at Atlanta-Hartsfield International Airport — usually the busiest in the world — handled on the same day, and the flights coming into Atlanta were spread out over 24 hours. Oshkosh tower manager and veteran controller Wanda Adelman told Wired.com there are some bragging rights that come with the job here, “we actually beat O’Hare” she says referring to the Chicago airport which is the busiest in the region, “we beat Atlanta too, but nobody cares about Atlanta. They just want to know that we beat O’Hare.”

At peak traffic times, there may be as many as 10 airplanes coming or going per minute.

A co-worker of mine is up there to work the traffic. I hope he makes it home in one piece. That's gotta be a blast to work that many airplanes.

:rawk: it's on my bucket list - probably not to work the traffic but to spectate at the very least.

my grandfather and his cousin go every year. They just got back. They go at at the age of 85 years young they will sleep in a tent under the wing of my grandfather's cousin's airplane.

I won an AV80R from BendixKing at Oshkosh. Or at least it was announced there... I didn't actually go. All the same, woo hoo!

Back