Bridgewater State College

Joe

Back in December, I received an acceptance letter to attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Daytona Beach, FL) for the Spring 2004 semester. I had to defer admission the Fall '04 due to the fact that two weeks would not be enough time to be ready.

I received my financial aid information in early April, and took it to the College Planning Center of RI (free service at the mall to assist students and parents) to help sort it all out. Basically, after financial aid, I would have to take out a loan(s) for about $140,000. Their loan payment chart didn't even go up that high, so they estimated I'd be paying anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500 per month. Given the average CFI salary, even if I was able to pay that, I'd have nothing left for food or rent, or anything else. I knew that Riddle would be expensive, but I didn't realize it'd be that high.

Recently, I looked into Bridgewater State College in Bridgewater, MA - about an hour drive from where I live in RI. Their Aviation Science Department "offers four-year baccalaureate degrees (BS) in Aviation Science, with concentrations in Aviation Management, or Flight Training." BSC has a partnership with Delta Connection Acadamey to provide flight training for AvMajors.

After browsing their web site, and adding up the costs of tuition and DCA flight training, it appears I would be saving in the neighborhood of $60,000 by attending BSC/DCA as opposed to ERAU.

Here is a quick rundown of costs for both schools to give an example of what I'm talking about:

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
(Source: ERAU Financial Aid Estimated Costs)
[*]Tuition and Fees $22,188
[*]Room and Board $6,740
[*]Books (estimated) $920
[*]Total, non-flight students $29,848
[*]Average annual flight costs $10,000
[*]Total, flight students $39,848

Now, multiply $39,848 × 4 years, and the total comes to almost $160,000. After financial aid (about $5,000/year), it comes down to $140,000.

Bridgewater State College
(Source: Costs of Attending - Spring 2004)
[*]Non-MA Resident, Undergraduate Day, 12-15 Credits: $5,411
After four years, this would translate to about $44,000. According to the DCA packet I received in the mail, flight training from PPL through MEI would cost around $45,000, bringing the total to $89,000. Factor in all the other costs, and it'll probably be more like $90,000-$95,000... about $60,000 less than Riddle.

As much as I am looking forward to heading down to Florida, $60,000 in savings is something I can't afford to miss out on. I would appreciate some insight and advice from everyone as to what my best course of action is from here on. Which school would I be better off choosing, and etc...

Another question is, at this point, it is most likely to late to get into BSC for fall '04, so if I do put it off until Spring or Fall '05, do you recommend I go ahead and start training at a local FBO until then, or just wait. The flying bug has been itching like crazy for the past few years, but I want to have a "plan of action" before I dive into it.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I'll post updates as they come.
-Joe

Hi joe

From my own experience, DCA is a great place to train but if you decided to go there add another 30 to 40% to the price.
I have seen people expend well over 14k just to get their private pilot license.

My advise get a degree at a good school and do your training at a local FBO that offers part 141 training.
grin.gif

As much as i am a big fan of DCA (I'm an instructor there) and I would reccomend the school to anyone, those numbers for Riddle don't sound right. That is way too much. Double check with them before you cross them off your list. DCA is a great place to train, but make sure those numbers are correct before you come here simply because of the cost savings.

DCA in New Bedford also accepts non-Bridgewater State College applicants so if you missed the boat on applying for fall at BSC, you could still start flight training at DCA.

Also you should know as far as any flight school goes you get exactly what you put into it. If you fly 3-4 times a week, never (and i mean never) cancel, and dedicate a serious amount of study, you will finish at the quoted price. I've seen it, so it is possible. But, if you fly one or twice a week, or have long gaps between flights, and not study on your own you will easily come out paying 14K for a PPL.

HAve you looked at a four-year university that doesn't cost quite as much? Check out my website and go to the "links" page. There are a bunch of schools that don't cost near as much....

Back