Breonna Taylor

KLB

Do you listen to The Insight podcast? If you don't, you should, I think you'd dig it. Genetics are real, and they inform way more than we'd like to admit about our behaviors, etc. But the big-picture takeaway from it is that we're still all worried about this stuff WAY out of proportion to what it really signifies. It's a deep-dive (if you'll pardon the millenial expression) in to human populations, how they evolved, etc. Recommended.
I’ll check it out! But I think I disagree with your conclusion. Some of this stuff is extremely significant, to the point where we need public policy involved to attempt to deal with it. For example, racial differences in IQ. Or racial differences in risk of disease. Hell, right now we’re seeing an enormous difference in Covid fatality between white and black citizens. Is that purely a socioeconomic factor, or is there a genetic component? That seems important to know. But people are always afraid to even research this stuff, because there’s a stigma around acknowledging the genetic differences between racial groups.
I think it's a combination of both honestly.

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
For example, racial differences in IQ.
Yeah, they exist. And you're right that talking about them is basically peeing on the third rail in our current political climate, for what must be obvious reasons. Here's thing, though. They're statistically insignificant in the meaty part of the bell curve. Like, yeah, waaaaaaaay out on the tails, you're going to find more people of ethnicity/race (btw, race is still a myth, just so we're clear, but I'll go with it for the purposes of this conversation) x than ethnicity/race y. But in the other 99%, give or take, the difference is miniscule. Bluntly, and off the cuff, I'm liable to be about, what, let's say 1% more "intelligent" (as measured by tests devised by very intelligent dudes) than someone of largely African descent. Also let's just spitball and say 1% LESS intelligent than someone of largely Asian descent. This can all be chopped up and diced in various ways, as with all statistics. But the significance of these very real findings (which, btw, I don't dispute, those very intelligent dudes who came up with the tests certainly controlled for all variables) is basically meaningless, outside of abstruse scientific discussion. And it's no huge surprise that people have rather significant emotional reactions to being told that, you know, they're likely to be stupider than someone else based on their genetics. In spite of the fact that it turns out that the statement could be made about just about ALL of us. No matter who you are, there's someone, somewhere, whose odds of having a very high IQ are greater than yours. Unless you're an Ashkenazi Jew, in which case, congrats, you now have something to prove. If you're Japanese, btw, you're not far behind. Be smart or be ashamed. In the face of all of the other things we desperately need to be discussing, racial differences in IQ is kind of a Jerry Springer moment, basically. It grabs headlines and makes people upset. And is it a lie? Well, no. But it might as well be, for the purposes of serious discussion. It is insignificant, by any rational measure.

Or racial differences in risk of disease. Hell, right now we’re seeing an enormous difference in Covid fatality between white and black citizens. Is that purely a socioeconomic factor, or is there a genetic component?
AFAICT, socio-economics account for the vast majority of the disparity. The remainder, and I'm DEFINITELY shooting from the hip on this one, but not without some research, have to do with sero-availability of Vitamin D, which we palefaces have evolved to leach out of the sunlight at a higher rate because our ancestors were the dumbasses who thought it was a great idea to go chase polar bears and reindeer rather than just hang out, hunt, and gather.

I'm obviously pleased to be a bit jocose here, but the fundamentals remain true, I think. To wit: Genetics are almost unbelievably complex and fascinating. We are making mach-speed steps in understanding them, and that's probably the most exciting thing that Humanity is achieving at the moment. But, predictably, like anything scientific, these things are MANY orders of magnitude more complex (and therefore interesting) than these idiotic 19th century tropes such as "My genes are superior" or "black people can't get Teh Covid". Or, you know, whatever other lumpen moronic BS people with a dim idea that there are things called "genes" and an anxiety to poop on other people can come up with.

TL;DR: This stuff is absurdly complex, and it is not in any way compatible with a Joe-Six-Pack understanding. But you can take this one to the bank: You're not genetically superior to anyone else in any meaningful way. Not one of you. Not even me!

Last edited:

SlumTodd_Millionaire

Evil Landlord Capitalist
Yeah, they exist. And you're right that talking about them is basically peeing on the third rail in our current political climate, for what must be obvious reasons. Here's thing, though. They're statistically insignificant in the meaty part of the bell curve. Like, yeah, waaaaaaaay out on the tails, you're going to find more people of ethnicity/race (btw, race is still a myth, just so we're clear, but I'll go with it for the purposes of this conversation) x than ethnicity/race y. But in the other 99%, give or take, the difference is miniscule. Bluntly, and off the cuff, I'm liable to be about, what, let's say 1% more "intelligent" (as measured by tests devised by very intelligent dudes) than someone of largely African descent. Also let's just spitball and say 1% LESS intelligent than someone of largely Asian descent. This can all be chopped up and diced in various ways, as with all statistics. But the significance of these very real findings (which, btw, I don't dispute, those very intelligent dudes who came up with the tests certainly controlled for all variables) is basically meaningless, outside of abstruse scientific discussion. And it's no huge surprise that people have rather significant emotional reactions to being told that, you know, they're likely to be stupider than someone else based on their genetics. In spite of the fact that it turns out that the statement could be made about just about ALL of us. No matter who you are, there's someone, somewhere, whose odds of having a very high IQ are greater than yours. Unless you're an Ashkenazi Jew, in which case, congrats, you now have something to prove. If you're Japanese, btw, you're not far behind. Be smart or be ashamed. In the face of all of the other things we desperately need to be discussing, racial differences in IQ is kind of a Jerry Springer moment, basically. It grabs headlines and makes people upset. And is it a lie? Well, no. But it might as well be, for the purposes of serious discussion. It is insignificant, by any rational measure.
This is all just factually incorrect. But due to the third rail nature, I’m afraid to even discuss it further. :)

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
This is all just factually incorrect. But due to the third rail nature, I’m afraid to even discuss it further. :)
Well, there's no way it's ALL "factually incorrect", as a large part of it is personal opinion. But feel free to PM with your, eh, concerns, if you're so inclined. I won't turn you in to the Gestapo, scout's honor.

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
OK. Tautology box checked...
She's right though. It just measures "IQ" just like the SAT measures how well you did on an SAT test. Those numbers may be an indicator of other things (for people with very specific backgrounds), but on their own they tell you nothing beyond what they are very specifically designed to measure.

SlumTodd_Millionaire

Evil Landlord Capitalist
Literally all of the scientific research shows that claim to be nothing but extreme left-wing fantasy. IQ measures general intelligence, which is the number one predictor of success in just about all things in life, from financial success to marriage success. I know the extreme left likes to pretend that there are no genetic differences between people, but reality is far different. And solutions can’t be found if you won’t even acknowledge reality.

Last edited:

Minuteman

“Dongola”
Taking a step back, we're arguing about IQ after a derail into "why aren't 'they' doing better" territory in the thread about Breonna Taylor getting shot by police while breaking into her home late at night to serve a warrant.

Y'all. Go out and have a conversation with a stranger.

SlumTodd_Millionaire

Evil Landlord Capitalist
Taking a step back, we're arguing about IQ after a derail into "why aren't 'they' doing better" territory in the thread about Breonna Taylor getting shot by police while breaking into her home late at night to serve a warrant.

Y'all. Go out and have a conversation with a stranger.
Dude, we can't go out and do anything. Give us a break here. :)

azmedic

The officer at the centre of the George Floyd case has just posted bail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

azmedic

Hasn't he been out for a while? I think that protesters were demonstrating outside of his house like weeks/month after he got arrested and released.
No he’s been locked up since he surrendered back in August I think it was. He was transferred from the county jail to a state facility once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Space Monkey

Did anyone notice the complete lack of protests or rioting in Texas? Almost like when you hold a cop accountable no one gets angry
It's like this...

Most people can't and don't learn without a lot of repetition. The reason the Right Lies work is that the Right Lies are big and repeated often (ad-infinitum).

Maybe the "lie" that it's not ok for cops to murder people is big enough and has now been repeated often enough that people are starting to learn.

Nark

Macho Superpilot
How about you tell me why things are the way that they are. Have you looked beyond the surface or are you just spouting from your bully pulpit? Same goes for you @SFLAX.
The graph is based on per capita of the population, not police interactions. The graph is designed to elicit a response (emotional) because you see more of a volume based on the different races it covers.

If you think it was a dig against “more black criminals” that says a lot about you and your thought process. I’m looking at you @SteveC.

I can’t wait until one of you gets caught up in an emotional event, and succumb to the mob rule, vs waiting for the facts to emerge and have a civil/ responsible outcome.

SteveC

Really?
Staff member
The graph is based on per capita of the population, not police interactions. The graph is designed to elicit a response (emotional) because you see more of a volume based on the different races it covers.

If you think it was a dig against “more black criminals” that says a lot about you and your thought process. I’m looking at you @SteveC.

I can’t wait until one of you gets caught up in an emotional event, and succumb to the mob rule, vs waiting for the facts to emerge and have a civil/ responsible outcome.
I’m seriously not following what point you are trying to get me to see?

Yes, there are more black criminals, per capita.
Yes, there are more police - black interactions per capita, and those interactions go south at a higher rate.
While the first point contributes to the second it is, by far, not the only reason.
Additional factors, some current, some historical, are more “root cause” to the first two points.
If we don’t, as a society, figure out why and how so many blacks have been forced (through circumstances beyond their control) into situations leading to broken families, few positive role models, lack of quality early education (multiple factors here as well), lack of good job opportunities, despair, and resultant forays into crime as their perceived chance to get ahead, then this will continue.

@Nark, what are you saying that I’m not understanding please?

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
If we don’t, as a society, figure out why and how so many blacks have been forced (through circumstances beyond their control) into situations leading to broken families, few positive role models, lack of quality early education (multiple factors here as well), lack of good job opportunities, despair, and resultant forays into crime as their perceived chance to get ahead, then this will continue.
I'm not saying @Nark is one but what a lot of people who make the point he made are implying (but hesitate to say out loud) is that the issue isn't caused by the circumstances they have (generationally) faced but rather that the color of their skin makes them that way.

Disgusting stuff.