Brand new to aviation

Dasheem Smith

So I left active duty last year and decided on a new career change; to be a dispatcher. I have no experience in aviation what so ever, lol, but luckily for me I really love it so far. I just passed my written with a 90% today so I'm still pretty excited. I'm also going to school for my bachelors degree in criminal justice. My question is after I complete my practical and receive my certification should I change degrees to have a better chance at landing a dispatcher job. I am aware that having a degree is a good then no matter what it is but I want to start dispatching as soon as practicable( I won't be finish with my degree until 2014)

If I were you I would continue with the Criminal Justice degree. It would give you versatility for whatever reason if you wanted to leave dispatching and go into the law field you would have something to work with.
Once you get your dispatcher certificate , go for the job. The airline you work for will send you through a thorough training program.

Perhaps you can go to school part time but hey when time starts to pass and you by after getingt a job , some bills, a girl friend or wife , a car , a dog, a house, etc. school might not be your mission anymore but a pain in the rear and a hard chore.

Welcome to JC and the wonderful (and fun) world of aviation! I would stick with the CJ degree. I think it would open up a lot more doors, compared to an aviation degree.

As bigcat pointed out - going to school with a full time job is probably a chore and a half. Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue.

Back