Brand New CFII/MEI... Should I Apply @ FSA

Mark83

I just finished up all of my rating at another flight school last week to include CFI/II, MEI, AGI and IGI. My times are around 260/140 with no dual given yet. My question is; with these times and no dual given, would I even be considered for a flight instructing position at Flight Safety?

Thanks for your help!

There's no reason not to give it a shot. At 280/80 with an amazing 6.1 hours of dual given at the time they called me the next day. Seems as though most of the instructors like what they have to offer there, unfortunately after a few minutes on the phone I couldn't justify pursuing it further.

YES! We NEED more MEI/CFII instructors.
Is there anyone in particular to send my resume to or just send it to the email address on the website?

What type of flight times are you guys flying every month?

Thanks for your help.

I had a friend get hired there a few weeks ago with 300TT/125ME or thereabouts...he got most the ME at Aviator and got his CFI/CFII at the AF 30 day academy in PMP. When I got my private at FSA a year ago, they would have laughed their rear ends off if you called trying to apply with those 2 schools/experiences in your resume...guess times have changed.

(He's a good guy though, by the way. They gave him a tough interview and he passed the test...so not anyone is going to survive the interview. Just interesting he got it in the 1st place with that background.)

O-yea, he is ex-Navy, so he has both his forearms tatooed. A year ago that would in no way shape or form have flown there either...they made me go home once b/c I hadn't shaved in 36 hours. nag nag nag. Great school, though.

I know who you're speaking of, and I doubt he got any tougher an interview then the other equally qualified candidates. I have been at the school since 05 and have not seen what you claim about prejudice towards other schools. I know of a few instructors we've had since I've been here that trained at aviator.

It's not where ya went, it's what you did with your time. That's what people see, and that's what counts.

I know of who I am speaking of too. I didn’t say he got a different interview. I worked for FSA while I was there (not b/c I needed to, b/c I wanted to). I like the school. Those are my perceptions. I'm not trying to excite or otherwise arouse anyone here.

...they made me go home once b/c I hadn't shaved in 36 hours. nag nag nag.

Really? You consider that nagging? You're in a customer service industry where customers plop down large sums of money to hire professional pilots who they will entrust their lives to, and this "professional" pilot doesn't bother to shave every day before work. I wouldn't expect to see the UPS man show up unshaven, let alone someone who will have my life in his hands. There's a certain image that goes along with being a professional. You wouldn't expect to see your doctor show up for surgery in his Harley garb; students & passengers should expect the same standards of pilots.

Easy turbo, I was an SP at the time. I had 0TT and it was before my first flight at the school (lesson 2). I wanted to give them over $50,000 of my money to train. I was the customer.
All I wound up doing there was achieving my Private. I worked in Marketing my last month at the school because I was bored and getting a plane/instructor was difficult. Then I went elsewhere.
I'm not talking about looking like grizzly adams, either. I hadn't shaved in 36 hours. To make me, the customer, go home and shave the slightest stubble off before my first flight at the school may have been a little overboard. I think it had something to do with the quick dawn masks in the PA28 not being able to seal properly if I recall. (comedic relief)
I thought we had these forums to share opinions and experiences, amongst other things. Most of the time they seem to just lead to a lot of bravado and people drunk off kool-aid.

All I was really trying to say in the first place was that they appear to be hiring more non-organic CFIs than in the past, it's a good school (I'm being serious), go for it...

I had a friend get hired there a few weeks ago with 300TT/125ME or thereabouts...he got most the ME at Aviator and got his CFI/CFII at the AF 30 day academy in PMP. When I got my private at FSA a year ago, they would have laughed their rear ends off if you called trying to apply with those 2 schools/experiences in your resume...guess times have changed.

(He's a good guy though, by the way. They gave him a tough interview and he passed the test...so not anyone is going to survive the interview. Just interesting he got it in the 1st place with that background.)

O-yea, he is ex-Navy, so he has both his forearms tatooed. A year ago that would in no way shape or form have flown there either...they made me go home once b/c I hadn't shaved in 36 hours. nag nag nag. Great school, though.

I can remember a time not long ago when if you did not train there, you did not work there. Flight Safety used to stand by that rule simply because they did not like trying to "undue" the bad habits learned at other schools. FSA has a very particular way they like to train their pilots. At least they used to.

ILS

I think that flight schools are happy to get "0" time instructors, because after their standardization course, you will be instructing their way from the start...instead of having to possibly being re-trained into a new schools way of instructing.
Of course, I may be wrong...but my Mom says I'm not, lol.:laff:

I think that flight schools are happy to get "0" time instructors, because after their standardization course, you will be instructing their way from the start...instead of having to possibly being re-trained into a new schools way of instructing.
Of course, I may be wrong...but my Mom says I'm not, lol.:laff:

Never thought about it that way but it does make some sense, I'll use that as a selling point in my interviews

Back